INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question concerning custom library rating field  (Read 1030 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
question concerning custom library rating field
« on: May 09, 2006, 01:32:57 pm »

I had to import all my music again over the weekend because i reloaded windows and media center due to a drive failure. I had a custom field filled out for each album called "stars" which was a numerical rating of 1 to 10. This custom field was in the general catagory of tags and now is gone because i didn't have "save this field in the tag if possiable" checked.

Before i rerate all my albums, i am going to turn on the save field in tag info option. Will it in fact do this and if so how i can i test it to see? If it will save it in the tag info then next time when i have to redo the machine the ratings will be saved.

Thanks
TC

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: question concerning custom library rating field
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 04:20:24 pm »

yes, they will be saved in the file tags.
You can verify this by opening "file type info" in the action window. (file properties > file type info) when you select a file, 'file type info' will display all the tags saved within that file.

I actually came here with a custom library field question of my own, so, seeing as you've already begun a thread, I'll ask mine in here too:

In the "configure library field" dialogue, in the 'user data' section, what is the "Values" field used for?

My little project stonewalled quicker than I expected!! While exploring for solutions, I realised I had never used this 'values' field, nor ever seen it used. Anyone ever used this before?

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 04:51:58 pm »

Thanks Marko, i suppose i could also just remove some files from media center after i have given them custom field tags and then reimport and see if the custom field tag is still there.

TC

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 04:56:39 pm »

Marko--
Values will govern what's available in the drop-down menu.  Have a look at MC's default rating scheme:  values are ? 1 2 3 4 5, so when I tried to enter 611, it doesn't work.  (Some songs deserve a point better than 610) 

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:56:11 pm »

k, I see, thanks jg.

that's not gonna help me unfortunately.

tcman41;
have a little faith m8 :)
If you can read it in the filetype info window, it's in the file.
If you are starting fresh, note that MC will not create the custom field automatically just because it's tag is in the file. You must create the field before importing, then MC will populate it accordingly. If you forgot, you need to create the field, then do an "update library from tags" to retrieve the info from the tags.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up