INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: images, particularly tiff images, EXIF data and MC  (Read 1137 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
images, particularly tiff images, EXIF data and MC
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:25:02 am »

just ran into another brick wall on my way along the image handling learning curve...

Am I doing something wrong somewhere, or can MC simply not read EXIF info from tif files?
It seems that no matter what I do, MC always uses the tif files' 'date modified' flag.

Other software I've tried, including Directory Opus, and even the ages old software, Exifer, can read them.

MC's 'file type info' window merely proclaims "compression: TIF" and reports the dimensions and file size.
My gut feeling is that I've happened across another short-coming in MC and its image handling abilities, but figured I'd mention it, on the off-chance that there's a way around this.

It's frustrating because it means that if I want to continue, I need to manually enter information for a lot of files that is already present in the EXIF data, which to my mind, is a shameful waste of time and rescources.

------------------------------

I also remember reading a post that said that if you want MC to re-read EXIF data, using the 'update library from tags' would achieve this. This is only true if there are no proprietry <MJMD> tags present, in which case, MC ignores the EXIF data and only reads its own tag info.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: tiff images, EXIF data and MC
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 07:31:42 am »

We know there is interest in EXIF tags, and we'll get around to it, but there are higher priorities right now.  Thanks for your patience.

Annie Sixgun

• Recent member
Re: tiff images, EXIF data and MC
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:30:23 am »

Hi Jim,
  Just thought you would like to know there is more than just a passing interest in using the embedded information, EXIP, IPTC, etc..

I also stopped using MC11 for my photo collection because I could not display the descriptive information while viewing my photographs. 
    I now use a standalone viewer that displays what ever data has been input by either the camera or by me using Photoshop, Corel,  IIC compliant software or almost any program that will write meta information to the image.

As for MC11, It sure would be nice to have basic display ability of  images along with selected embedded data from the image.

Thanks for listening,
Anne

My reason is simple, others may want or need more.
 I need sometimes two or three paragraphs of just "comments" to describe the photograph before I archived the photo.

Most Photo Album programs only make a file that is displayed only when used with that program, and if the image is transferred, the data is lost.

Embedding DATA assures the image is never separated from its descriptive information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up