INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishlist - codec embedded system  (Read 2240 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Wishlist - codec embedded system
« on: June 27, 2006, 08:30:13 pm »

It would be very interesting if MC12 came with a full set of embedded codecs for audio and video playback, instead of (or in addition to) the DirectShow system.

I'm thinking of something like the Videolan player (www.videolan.org) which contains MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264 decoders already. It's open source too.

I realize that there are intellectual property encumberment issues with the MPEG decoders. Perhaps MC12 could be built with hooks for a codec package, and it would be up to the user to download & install a prebuilt codec pack? This would be similar to the current use of the LAME encoder (which as far as I know is in violation of Fraunhofer's patents).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wishlist - codec embedded system
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:33:56 pm »

I realize that there are intellectual property encumberment issues with the MPEG decoders.
Yes.  We're trying hard to stay out of jail.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
Re: Wishlist - codec embedded system
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 10:12:20 pm »

Yes.  We're trying hard to stay out of jail.
Then licence an MPEG2/DVD playback engine.

I am struck that J River is set up to sell plugins for additional features, but the stuff needed to enable DVD playback is ignored.

Pop up a message at install time if no DVD playback software is found saying "You don't appear to have DVD playback software installed - Would you like to purchase the super-duper MC12 optimized DVD pack for $10". Or... "You appear to have DVD playback software installed. It will probably work with MC12. If you want, you can buy some for $10 which will definitely work and will enable all special features."

MC12 would be set up to prefer the JR supplied MPEG2 decoder & DVD navigator (if present) over the DirectShow path. You could also build in support for ffdshow post-processing, like Theatertek does. (Probably already works in MC12 with the DirectShow chain support.)

Most suppliers of licensed MPEG2/DVD decoders can also supply fully licensed MPEG4 and H.264 codecs as well. Though once ffdshow is installed, these are present too...

Or you can refer users to an arms-length site where they can download the open source packs - somewhat like Inmatrix (Zoomplayer) does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up