INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio needs OK|Apply|Cancel  (Read 3413 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
DSP Studio needs OK|Apply|Cancel
« on: June 29, 2006, 02:34:25 am »

The DSP Studio dialog (which should be renamed) could use the standard OK|Cancel buttons. Right now the close button is the only way to dismiss.

jgreen

Re: DSP Studio needs OK|Apply|Cancel
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 10:11:31 am »

I noticed this also in v12, but I went back to 11.1 and it doesn't have a "close" button either, and we never complained.  Currently the developers seem to be conserving buttons, perhaps in anticipation of some future need, some button-riddled box currently under development, I guess.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 10:32:30 am »

Changes happen as you make them.  There's no apply, and then also no need for cancel.

I never knew there was so much "DSP Studio" baggage.  I like the name Sound Slice-n-Dice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 10:41:00 am »

Changes happen as you make them.  There's no apply, and then also no need for cancel.

I never knew there was so much "DSP Studio" baggage.  I like the name Sound Slice-n-Dice.
Actually there *is* a need for cancel. The options in DSP Studio are quite complex, and a user can accidentally get in a situation where things go strange, and they'd like to back out, and leave things the way they were. This is especially true because (at least on my system) changes *don't* happen as you make them, but a few seconds later as the buffer catches up.

Right now the only way to get rid of the DSP Studio dialog is the close button - which is *not* what most users are trained to expect. Most people expect to exit a dialog via "OK" or "Cancel" (and their associated keyboard shortcuts, Enter and Escape).

I suspect you don't get a lot of comments re DSP Studio because a lot of new users never even go there (can't tell what it does), and the experienced ones have just adapted to it.

Sound Slice & Dice would confuse knowledgeable people who work with computer audio, because a lot of desktop music software does include "beat slicers", which is a very specific function.

Which reminds me, why not support VST plugins in MC12, then you could really "slice & dice"!

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 11:10:00 am »

Clearly a schism has appeared in the beta test crew:  the pro-studio loyalists and, well, those other guys.  Even though "studio" is definitely a noun, it conveys a verb-like sense of action, of destiny.  Therefore I think it's fine like it is, and maybe jriver ought to name more things "studio".

As for VST plugins, most definitely.  I believe there's currently a workaround for this, using yet another plugin to adapt the VSTs to DirectX.  Elegant?  No.  But you get the functionality.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 11:13:36 am »

Clearly a schism has appeared in the beta test crew

I'd call it more of a crevice.   ;D

I really don't care too much.  I just agree that all "Playback" controls should be consolidated under the same "roof" (including the new Video settings), and accessable from a quick, easy button.

Once you throw Video Brightness and Aspect Ratio in there, DSP Studio doesn't make much sense anymore.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 12:11:23 pm »

Once you throw Video Brightness and Aspect Ratio in there, DSP Studio doesn't make much sense anymore.

Agreed.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 01:29:24 pm »

Was just playing around in here, and the more I use it the more I think all of the playback settings (audio, video, and image, including the DSP stuff and whatever video stuff gets added) should all be in one spot. It doesn't make much sense to click on a button that takes you one place, but then have to right click on that same button to get to the playback settings.

And the Playback Options screen needs some work. Audio playback is very prominent, but then all of the other playback modes (video, images, dvd) are buried. And then TV Tuner is doing it's own thing entirely.

I'm just thinking that this whole area could benefit greatly from some streamlining. I really hate having a button that has one main function and then a bunch of other functions buried under a right click menu. It's not intuitive at all. Maybe rename the button a simple "Playback Settings" and then have one dialog that has all of these things in there in a really streamlined way.

And actually, I'm starting to like the idea of having all of this in the Action Window more and more. Take a look at how WMP manages to show all of these things in a way that unified with the main UI. Something like that.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 01:48:58 pm »

Playback Controls
- Audio
- Video

I do like the way WMP lets you manage most things related to playback hwile you are playing something.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 05:44:41 pm »

Clearly a schism has appeared in the beta test crew:  the pro-studio loyalists and, well, those other guys.  Even though "studio" is definitely a noun, it conveys a verb-like sense of action, of destiny.  Therefore I think it's fine like it is, and maybe jriver ought to name more things "studio".
Actually "studio" comes from the same latin root as "study" - a place where things are calmly examined, understood and constructed. Hence an artist's studio. This is why the Visualization Studio makes sense - it's a little workshop for making visualizations. Someone who understands this terminology would assume that a DSP Studio is like a work area for building DSP configurations - in the same sense as the Viz Studio. But it's not. It's just the dialog for the playback settings.

Incidentally - this leads to another idea: the ability to create and save presets for the entire DSP Studio (Playback Settings) not just the equalizer.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 08:02:32 pm »

I like the fact that you can make changes as you go.  A cancel button would be ok.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 08:17:04 pm »

There's no problem with changes happening in realtime - but what if you don't like them, and want them all back how they were before?

... so a "Cancel" button would be useful.

... and an "OK" button, as the clear exit route from the dialog if you *do* want to keep the changes. (Instead of the close box, which is read as "cancel" by a lot of people.)

Come on, this is not rocket science, almost every other settings dialog in MC follows the OK|Cancel template, nothing is added by ignoring it, nothing is lost by following it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up