INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPDATE: converting to mp3 fails - bits of different music are inserted...  (Read 1164 times)

dvdr

• Recent member

Hi

for my portable MP3-Player, I converted about 200 files to MP3. Many of them have some strange errors: all of a sudden, for instance, it sounds as if someone has tuned in to a noisy radiostation, some kind of hiss. It is not a dropout, not silence, but no jump in the music either, it's just some kind of weird noise.  Any idea, what might have happened?
Here are my settings

lame commandline:   --abr 224 -b 192  (average bitrate 224, never go down beyond 192)

The original files are flac-files stored on my computers HD (playback works perfectly with scot thomas's 1.4-plugin, no droputs, no crashes etc. - I have to use version 1.4, since I do not want to upgrade beyond MC 110316).

Computer is a brandnew Aopen MZ195-M with Pentium M 1.73 GHz, 1GB Ram and WIN XP (SP2 with latest updates)  with an external D/A-converter attached via FireWire.

Any idea, what could provoke such effects? Could it be hardware-related ("overloaded" processor) or software-related?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: converting to mp3 creates hisses and noises
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:29:37 am »

turn off or mute some lines like MC, Line-In etc... in Play Control (In windows) to see if that helps.

i just converted 17,000 mp3's with no problems
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dvdr

• Recent member
Information-UPDATE: new details discovered
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 03:21:46 am »

Hi

and thanks for the answer!
Here is an update of the problem - I tried to investigate it a bit more yesterday evening.

- the hisses and noises in fact ARE music - I could not distingiush it first, but listening more closely and discovering a few more longer errors along the way, during the encoding process, bits and pieces of music from different parts of the song (or other songs) are kind of "inserted" in the current song for the duration of about 1/10 to 3/10 of a second.

- I have done previous encodings with my "BIG" computer (bigtower, Pentium IV, 3.2 GHz, 1GB RAM) getting the files via Ethernet from the previous Asus Pundit R350 Barebone I had and never encountered that problem - so maybe the problem IS hardware related, since I also exchanged the Harddisc (220GB S-ATA Samsung to 400GB S-ATA Samsung)?

Any comment or help is much appreciated!

dvdr

• Recent member

Hi

The music WAS ripped from my CD-Collection, yes. But not DIRECTLY to MP3 - first, it was ripped with EAC and converted with EAC/FLAC.exe to FLAC (EAC rips to temporary WAV and then calls the FLAC-Encoder) and then stored to my computer.
From these FLAC-files, I then converted to MP3 from within JRiver. As I said: the FLAC-files are perfect, they do not have any of these problems during playback...
Pages: [1]   Go Up