INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping with multiple drives - survey  (Read 864 times)

TptBoy

Ripping with multiple drives - survey
« on: July 23, 2006, 09:30:28 pm »

I will be ripping and archiving my large CD collection soon (1000+).  I'm wondering what is the largest number of drives that have been used to rip CD's simultaneously.  I'm looking at using as many as 7 at once.  I have a pretty beefy system.

How many drives have you ripped from at once?

What is the maximum number of CD's you ripped in a single session?

What is the configuration of your computer (cpu, ram, drives brand and model)?

This should be interesting...

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Ripping with multiple drives - survey
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 10:42:12 pm »

I've only ever used 1 drive, but I have a few thoughts.

Basically, I doubt you'll need 7 drives.

First, I doubt you CPU can handle encoding that many tracks at the same time.

Second, considering YADB is not perfect, you'll probably face some cases where you need to edit the tags be hand. It would be confusing to try to do that with so many drives.

Third, I would think that just the physical logistics of getting each CD from your physical library, taking out the disk, putting it in the drive, taking out the ripped disk, putting it back in the case, and returning it to your library would be too much for you to keep up with 7 drives.

Anyway, good luck. If you do go with 7 drives how about taking a video of you doing it? :)

TptBoy

Re: Ripping with multiple drives - survey
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:50:56 pm »

I just tried three at once with my slower laptop (3 Ghz, 1 gig ram) and it worked pretty well.  I tried to crash it by listening to a file and navigating around at the same time, and it did crash.  However, if had not tried, I believe it would have kept ripping just fine.  It did work well until I started clicking all over the place.  When I get my dual core 3Ghz system built (1 gig ram), I think it will do much better.  I think 5 is possible at least.  I have done something similar using multiple computers (three at once running windows media) and it wasn't much of a juggle.  Surprisingly, most of the cd's were recognized. 

So, is YADB less dependable than cddb or microsoft db?  I think that may be the only issue.  If it is, I'll just make a pile of the ones that do not go through and do them by hand (or with windows media) later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up