INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I think I killed Otto  (Read 2619 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
I think I killed Otto
« on: July 24, 2006, 02:11:25 pm »

I've had this week-end a major failure with MC.12, as I told in a different post. I think I killed Otto in the process. This is what happened:

1.- On Wednesday I noticed that one of my 6 external firewire HDD was having problems. Actually, there were some 1,000 songs missing from the disk. I decided to transfer the rest of the songs of that HDD (around 35,000) to a different HDD.

2.- I moved those files within MC, using the "My Computer" part of the tree and the "Move/Copy" files options. This took me several hours spreaded accross Tuesday and Friday.

3.- Once the above procedure finished, Friday early evening, I closed MC (probably too early, my fault).

4.- When trying to restart MC , it just loaded and was responsive for some 10 seconds... to freeze for several minutes... 20,30? till I decided to kill it via task manager.

5.- Repeated the restart with the same results a couple of times. On one occasion I had time enough to disable Otto, since I thought this could be the cause of the freezing. No luck.

6.- Reinstalling did not help.

7.- I finally had to completely uninstall MC.12, reboot, reinstall, load a library backup (since I got the message that MC failed to load the default library) and things seemed to get back to normal. Had to customize again everything and so on, and left Otto disabled.

8.- On Saturday, I was brave enough to enable Otto again. I set it to watch 2 HDD, excluding a subfolder of one of them.

9.- I'd swear that Otto was not working as expected. He did not detect the new files that I was adding to some of the watched folders. I also noticed a somehow unusual CPU activity while Otto was enabled.

10.- I decided this evening, before starting MC for the first time today, to move the "excluded folder" to a different HDD so that Otto was not struggling with it every time. It's a backup folder full of pictures, documents, etc. that I do not want imported into MC.

11.- Once the folder moved, I started MC today for the first time and..... item 4.- happened again. MC loaded fine and was responsvie for about 7-8 seconds, to freeze for minutes (I had it open for 25 minutes before killing it via task manager). Task manager showed MC as "not responding" during the whole process.

12.- Had to repeat the same procedures above to have MC running again.

I've disabled Otto again. I think I overloaded him to death.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: I think I killed Otto
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 04:37:43 pm »

Could you post the tail of a log after a hang?  There could be one problem file for Otto, or it could be something unrelated to Otto.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Deivit

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 05:31:37 am »

Thanks, Matt. I'll enable logging next time. Which options do you need to be logged?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:53:43 am »

Thanks, Matt. I'll enable logging next time. Which options do you need to be logged?

If you don't mind, log everything during the beta testing phase.  It won't affect performance much with a good machine.

Deivit

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:37:25 pm »

OK, it happened again... and this time I don't think Otto's to blame since it was disabled.

I was playing music with MC and in the middle of a video clip the PC rebooted spontaneously. Now, MC is just freezing upon opening it, probably 4-5 seconds after I loads.

I'm sending the log file to your email address, Matt. Let me know if there's something I can do to make it work or do I have to unistall, reboot and reinstall again. It's a pain cause all the configurations are gone if I do that.

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »

OK, it happened again... and this time I don't think Otto's to blame since it was disabled.

I was playing music with MC and in the middle of a video clip the PC rebooted spontaneously. Now, MC is just freezing upon opening it, probably 4-5 seconds after I loads.

I'm sending the log file to your email address, Matt. Let me know if there's something I can do to make it work or do I have to unistall, reboot and reinstall again. It's a pain cause all the configurations are gone if I do that.

Thank you.

Thanks David.  The log appears empty.  Could you try to zip it and send it again?

Deivit

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:44:04 pm »

Just sent it zipped. Hope it gets thru this time.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 01:48:18 pm »

Thanks, got it.

As a first step, install build 41. (the log is from a few builds back)

If it still happens, shoot another log my way. (loading has changed a lot due to the threaded loading system, so code from build 37 doesn't map well to the newer builds)

Thanks.

Deivit

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 01:49:05 pm »

OK, I'll try that.

Deivit

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:03:20 pm »

OK, good news. Installing build 41 solved the freezing problem and MC is responsive again... Let me know if you have any interest in the new log file.

Thank you!

Pages: [1]   Go Up