INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purchasing & install woes  (Read 1100 times)

shullinger

Purchasing & install woes
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:34:13 am »

I've rarely dealt with a company that made it such a pain just to buy their product, not to mention offer absolutely NO direct support. Forums don't cut it, unless the participators are friendly and helpful (so here's hoping you're all a friendly, helpful bunch of people!)  I mean, you can't even send this JRiver company an email!!  But as soon as I had the trial installed, I knew it was about the best software of its kind. If only I could reconcile the two issues! 
  Anyway, I followed their instructions to purchase, but no luck. It seems odd they will support ONLY Internet Explorer to make the purchase. I also use Firefox and Opera, but they won't work to make the purchase, and it turns out my IE has some corruption issues and wasn't working either. So, I also installed a trial on my laptop which doesn't have these problems, and I figured I could maybe just get the install key, and then enter it in my regular PC. Well, as soon as they took my money, they installed the key automatically, and that was that!  I would much prefer to have this software on my desktop!  But who knows if one license is good enough for one or more computers?  I could find no such information. So, if I want it on my desktop PC, do I have to make yet another purchase?  I guess because my IE is screwed up, so, maybe someone knows a solution to fixing my IE?  I have antivirus, antispyware, other tools, etc. I take care of my computer, but from time to time I may do something stupid that is unfixable by me. In general I have few issues with my computer. But, trying to back up everything and reinstalling is just out of the question. That alone may be beyond me. So, how can I get this software installed on my PC?  I paid for it! Should I have to also pay for the operational procedures of the JRiver Corporation? Help would be appreciated! 

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Purchasing & install woes
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 02:17:06 am »

Some first post, way to go!!
Forums don't cut it, unless the participators are friendly and helpful (so here's hoping you're all a friendly, helpful bunch of people!)
these things cut both ways, don't you think?

But who knows if one license is good enough for one or more computers?  I could find no such information.
For the answer to a question such as that, the first thing to look for is a FAQ link...

From the purchase FAQ page: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/buy_faq11.html

Q: Can I install on more than one PC?
A: During the two-week period after you have purchased or restored, you can use the Install Key you received to activate the program on your other PC’s. You may use the program on your work PC and on your home PC's with a single license.

so that's that question answered.

You should have received a registration email containing your liscence. That liscence can be used for 14 days to activate copies of MC on other computers you own. After 14 days, you need to go to the restore pages and have the jriver server generate a new liscence for you (again, valid for 14 days from its creation).

All you need to do to register MC on your desktop is to copy the .mjr liscence file to the desktop PC and double click on it.

FWIW, those registration/restore pages work fine for me with firefox. I don't always agree with jriver, but when it comes to their liscencing policies, I think they're refreshingly relaxed and open. Once you've slowed down enough to be able to read and digest the information available to you in the FAQ pages, I think you'll agree.

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Purchasing & install woes
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 02:31:10 am »

Welcome To MC! :)   You've come to the right place for product support.

The J River developement and admin. team and all the users are very friendly, knowledgable and helpful.You'll find this forum much more efficient to get problems resolved than trading emails. All posts are read by J River, (several times a day). We all, (the users), pitch in where ever we can.

The MC license and key-code can be used on all computers you own.

For more info on installing a license/key-code see the FAQ here: http://jrmediacenter.com/buy_faq11.html

Once you get a bit more familiar with MC and depending on how deep you get into using all the tools and options in this app, you'll find the forum very useful and helpful.

We're all here to make using and organizing our media better and more fun. Jay.

Edit: I see that marko beat me to the answers! Does anybody sleep around here? ;D

BTW your questions were answered in less than 3hrs! Is there any other product out there with product support that fast? :)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up