INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turning off transparent menus  (Read 2804 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Turning off transparent menus
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:33:53 pm »

I thought it would be cool with the transparent menus, but I actually find them annoying and making the menu items distracted by the background (especially the "text-over-text" effect).

I understand that some users find this cool, but please please pretty please make this optional!

Thanks!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Turning off transparent menus
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:18:49 am »

It is optional.

You just have to navigate to the skin's folder (C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\MegaSkins\Noire), open up the main.xml file in notepad, scroll down to the <MENU> section, and edit the "<Data Alpha="230" />" tag to say (I believe) "<Data Alpha="255" />".

Then it's just a simple matter of saving the main.xml file, and either closing and restarting MC, or choosing a different skin, and choosing Noire again.

You may also want to rename the Noire folder to something else so that the next time you install a new build of MC, it doesn't overwrite the skin, or you'll have to do all of this again.

Oh, if only there were a tool... built in to MC, ideally, that could make such changes like this on the fly... you know... something that could change the Effects on Skins without having to manually edit an xml file...

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 01:49:31 pm »

Well, yes...there's always the option to edit skin files....but hey, I'm programming and scripting for work, not keen on doing that on my spare time...then I just want to keep things simple ;)

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 01:37:05 pm »

It is optional.

You just have to navigate to the skin's folder (C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\MegaSkins\Noire), open up the main.xml file in notepad, scroll down to the <MENU> section, and edit the "<Data Alpha="230" />" tag to say (I believe) "<Data Alpha="255" />".

Thanks, I did this and it did the trick!!  I like the skin but not translucent.  To me that makes it harder to read.

Is there a way to make the cursor bar that moves up and down the list of playlists and things in the tree a darker blue?  On my monitor it is very faint light blue, and I would like it slightly more noticeable.

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 12:47:38 pm »

It is optional.

I've done this (because the transparent menus don't show up in VNC connections).  If anyone wants to grab a copy, rather than doing it yourself, you can grab it here:

http://users.adelphia.net/~edandjenn/mc/SolidNoire.mjp
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 08:30:38 pm »

THANK YOU!  THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Now I can use this skin with G-Force !

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 08:42:29 am »

glynor, with the latest alpha backgrounds, the solidnoire is not solid anymore and the new main.xml doesn't have a Data Alpha tag anymore.

Do you by any chance have an update?
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 08:49:18 am »

I did notice, and no I don't.  We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Personally, I liked the old method better.  The transparent menus were "really" transparent, and looked cool.  They didn't work in certain situations, but it was easy to disable.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 04:10:24 pm »

Let's stop complaining and thank the developers for making MC have some of the new features in Vista.  It really puts Vista to some shame.  Hey, do you think you could add the transparent glass around the edge of MC?  I would really like to have that!  All the interface improvements just make it an even nicer program!
Pages: [1]   Go Up