INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod - how to control track order  (Read 1825 times)

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
iPod - how to control track order
« on: August 14, 2006, 04:27:23 pm »

How can I get my ipod to play tracks in order by track order?

No matter what I do, it plays them in alphabetical order, not track order.  This really destroys live albums and Pink Floyd albums.

I'm already prepending the release year to the album names so they show up in order.  Do I have to somehow prepend the track number to the track name to get ordered playback?

And if I have to prepend the track number to the track name tag, is there a way to do it automatically?

Playing an album in track order seems so BASIC, that there must be something simple I am doing wrong (hopefully).

How does everyone else handle this?

(I'd swear it used to be by track order before... but if it changed, I don't know what I may have done to change it, and I need it changed back...)

razumik

• World Citizen
Re: iPod - how to control track order
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:21:04 pm »

The songs on my IPOD play in track order, not alphabetically, when the IPOD is not set to shuffle songs...so I am not sure why your's would behave otherwise.

Are you using playlists on the ipod or browsing to the album you want to play?

When you bring up the album in MC, what is the initial sort order? 

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:29:20 pm »

The tracks are sorted correctly in MC, by track number.  I synch to the ipod from a playlist, which is also sorted by track correctly.

I reset the ipod and used updater and tried MC again.  Again the track show up on the ipod in alpha order, not track order.

So I downloaded iTunes and installed and let it see the ipod and ejected.  Now the tracks show up in track order.

I shut down itunes and let MC see the ipod again, synched some tracks, and even the tracks that just showed up on the ipod correctly after itune, are not in track order anymore.

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:49:36 pm »

Strange.  Do you know which version of the ipod updater you have installed?  I know that some people have had issues with the latest updater.

Which ipod are you using?  My tracks are in order with a 60GB Video, though I have a fairly old version of the updater on it.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:15:10 pm »

I have an Ipod 60 Video.  I have the 6-28-2006 updater, had it for quite a while.

I've been reinstalling old versions of MC. 

11.1.191 works perfect.  Installed 11.1.192 and the tracks are not in the correct order.

I re-initialize the ipod for each MC install.

I'm going back to 11.1.191 now to prove what I've seen.  I'll report back.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:22:13 pm »

Okay, 11.1.91 works perfectly for ipod track order.  11.1.92 does not, 11.1.93 does not.

I've installed and re-installed and rebooted all evening... whew.

Looks like MC introduced a bug in 11.1.92.

Anyone else daring and willing to plug in their ipod to 11.1.92 or later and "synch" and see if your track order is still correct?

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 01:36:29 am »

Anyone else daring and willing to plug in their ipod to 11.1.92 or later and "synch" and see if your track order is still correct?

60gb iPod with 6/28/2006 updater and MC 11.1.192.  Initialized iPod and did full sync with 11.1.192 and all tracks on iPod are now sorted in alpha sequence.

Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up