INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marking song as a "Hit"  (Read 2222 times)

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
Marking song as a "Hit"
« on: August 15, 2006, 02:53:54 am »

I have been thinking of a way to mark songs as "hits", to be able to mark and select songs people tend to have a "realtionship" with. I have a lot of songs which has been hits, but I rate low, and don't normally would like to listen to.

Have anyone a good suggestion of how to do this. I thought maybe creating a boolean field, but maybe some of you have figured out a more genius way to do this...

Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Marking song as a "Hit"
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 05:07:16 am »

rating
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 05:16:46 am »

I am using rating, but for my own personal rating.

I often get asked if I can fix a computer for music on events, and usally with some additional music wishes. I often don't want this music to be played when i use my personall smartlists. I allready use rating 1 for special tracks rarely desired to play.

If I am to set rating 2 (or 5 for that matter), on hit songs, I can not seperate my god music and what other thinks of as good music, and what I and others think of as good music (that sounded a bit egosentric. Don't want to imply my taste is correct... ;)).
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 05:19:05 am »

Btw, If there is no other way than a custom field, is it possible to make it as a checkbox in the view, so i don't have to type in value 0 or 1?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 05:31:36 am »

I have asked a couple of times if it would be possible to make user defined rating style fields. It would be a good add to MC12 (read this as a feature request).

For now, you need to use a standard custom field. Just add something like 1 or X when applicable. You can leave the field empty when the track is not a chart-topper.

You can use the same field for detailed information.  For example:

Album: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
The "Chart" field contents:  741 weeks on Bilboard Top 200

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benvisser

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 05:53:40 am »

I have recently made a Radio List.

All the songs you want to be marked as hits, you put in the tageditor in comment 'Hit'

After that you make a smartlist called hits and on condition you mark "Comment: Hit"

Will this help a little bit?

Ben

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 06:22:41 am »

Ok. So no easy gui solution yet possible...

Hope if some gui additions comes later, that I will be able to map the the data over... Hate doing things twice 8)

But thanks for the contributions, KingSparta, Alex B and benwisser.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 10:45:54 am »

Btw, If there is no other way than a custom field, is it possible to make it as a checkbox in the view, so i don't have to type in value 0 or 1?
I use half ratings the same way, since the values are defined in the cutom field already.

i just click the field in Playing Now, F2, type one digit and then return. Its fairly quick when you get used to it.

I would defnitely support a checkbox for binary type fields in Playing Now, or other user provided graphics. Custom Rating fields with stars is a typical example that been asked for years.

Trick is how to design a widget that is customisable for any use. Otherwise each time some one comes up with an idea JRiver have to put in a custom one. Not going to happen.

The only way i see this happening is if they provide functionality in the SDK for a user to define thier own controls. That way you could have controls designed by a few and used by many.

But AFAIK Playing Now is off limits in this respect.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 10:58:30 am »

I use keywords to tag a song as a "Hit." Keywords is a list field so you can use it for a lot of things.
Sue

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 03:46:07 am »

Thanks, at least now I know my options.

Giving the thumbs up for GUI custom fields in MC12 :)

Marty3d

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 04:39:01 am »

I actually populate a normal playlist with songs I currently like. Then I use that playlist in various smartlists, like "200 songs rated 4 or 5 + my current favs". That awy I hear my current likings more often than other files. Works absolutely fabulous!

Example:
Here I have two lists, "current favs" and a smartlist "200 rated 4,5".

[media type]=[audio] playlistid==42672344,=635177112 ~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Track #],[Name] -[Mood2]=[Christmas]

Pages: [1]   Go Up