INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yahoo Music  (Read 6282 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Yahoo Music
« on: August 18, 2006, 04:08:11 pm »

Recently My Wife Was Playing Around On Yahoo Music.

So since she liked it i bought a subscription for 2 years for 1\2 price.

today i went thru the top 100 all genre's and pulled about 15 songs i liked from it.

you can play the songs all the way thru and not just 30 seconds of it.

if you wish to burn the song  to CD it is like 79 cents 20 cents cheaper per song than Itunes.

I did also buy the onetime charge player.

the files are saved as protected windows media files, but you can simply burn them to CD as a audio CD.

i can't find a way to save them directly to mp3 so i am guessing that you must then convert a audio CD to mp3.

any ideas on that anyone?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: Yahoo Music
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 10:01:09 pm »

Rhapsody also lets you listen to 25 full songs for FREE each month.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 10:30:12 pm »

King, I was thinking about moving from Napster To Go to Yahoo Music Unlimited.  I've had difficulty finding answers to some questions that I thought the FAQ would answer.  I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

1. How many computers can you have the application installed on for the same account? Edit: I found the answer: It looks like it can be on 3 computers.

2. Do you have the "To Go" version that lets you transfer to a portable?  If yes, has it worked well for you?

3. You said, "I did also buy the onetime charge player."  I'm not sure what this is.  Please describe.

I was under that impression that the only way Yahoo allows you to burn files to CD as audio CD was if you paid the 79 cents per track.

4. Have you had any problems importing the downloaded tracks into MC11 and playing them?

5. Please confirm that the files are 192kbps WMA.  I wouldn't want anything less.

Thanks,
BullishDad

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 07:55:50 am »

1. 3

2. No i did not see a point in it, i can put it on any player I want now. I just need to convert the music first.

3. "Yahoo Music Jukebox" Version 2.0 you can listen to music from the service. it loges you in, allows you to buy, and allows you to burn music from the service to the CD. There is a free version. the paid version allows you to burn faster. and then there is an additional charge for a license that does not expire.

4. No Problem, it may not burn however unless you convert it out of the protected wma format.

5. 192Kbps Yes

I am not sure if there is a limit of files you can listen all the way thru.

the player allows you to search the library using Genre and also a top 100 within the Genre. not sure how they rate top 100 but it could be sales or played.

the tracks are 0.79 cents each, .20 cheaper than Itunes per.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 09:30:30 am »

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.

I may go with the "To Go" version like I have with Napster.  The advantage is that you can transfer the protected music to certain portable players without any conversion.  I have the Dell DJ 30 which supports this feature.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 10:22:05 am »

I would Rate This Service As Better Than iTunes, Even If I Am Paying A Monthly Fee.

The Advantages:

1. You Can Play The Whole Song
2. It Is Cheaper Per Song
3. The Higher Bit Rate, Than Other Services
4. Buy One Year, Get The Second Year Free
5. Large Collection Of Pop Songs In All Genres
6. Can Burn To CD

Disadvantages:

1. Songs Are Still DRM (You Can Easily Get Around It However).
2. You Need To Subscribe To Get The Lower Price Per Track
Fayetteville, NC, USA

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 06:48:52 pm »

BullishDad,

In adition to the advantages that King has mentioned I would add the following in favor of Yahoo music...though they may not apply to your situation:

--Monthly fee is less than comparable services.
--last.fm audioscrobbler plugin works very well.
--Music recommendations from the program are actually pretty good.  From what I have seen of other services (I used Rhapsody for 3 years before switching) they generally recommend other artists based upon the artist you are looking at.  For instance, if you like group A, you should like group B.  Yahoo, in addition to similar artists, uses the ratings you assign to tracks and recommends songs based upon other user's ratings.  For instance, if you rate song A with 5 stars, and someone else rates the same song with 5 stars, Yahoo will recommend other songs that that other person has rated highly.  I have been pretty sucessful finding new music this way.

Sorry if this is a lot more info than you needed.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 10:38:27 pm »

razumik, no need to apologize.  Thanks for adding your experience to the thread.  I haven't signed up for Yahoo Music yet, but probably will do so over the weekend.  The cost savings over Napster is too much to pass up.

I was happy to hear that you like how they recommend artists based on other artists.  One of the main reasons that I've been paying Napster is that they have a similar system.  As an old classic rocker, I enjoy finding some of the newer artists that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 05:19:27 am »

Music recommendations

i found this last night when it based my ratings i gave a song and it recommended more artists within the same music genres.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 05:32:31 pm »

Well everyone said it for me. The service is good. I did not upgrade the player. Free upgrades for life. The jukebox is Musicmatch10. Yahoo bought out Musicmatch a couple years ago.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 05:27:09 pm »

The jukebox is Musicmatch10.

I don't see how you access Yahoo's music store from Music Match.

that is Musicmatch On Demand

Not Yahoo Music

Yahoo Music States You Must Use "Yahoo Music Jukebox" I own both of them and can not access Yahoo music with Music Match, Or Music Match On Demand Tracks From Yahoo Jukebox.

at least they don't look the same.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 05:40:34 pm »

I read that Yahoo bought out MusicMatch and was using MusicMatch engine for the base of Yahoo Jukebox. I believe it was on CNET New.Com This was two maybe three years ago. Yahoo in the article said they were going to keep MusicMatch as a separate company.

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 05:43:07 pm »

Hi King went to MusicMatch site in the left hand corner it now says Yahoo MusicMatch.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 06:00:35 pm »

Hi King went to MusicMatch site in the left hand corner it now says Yahoo MusicMatch.

Now Use The Yahoo Music Jukebox, Looks nothing alike

and Yahoo Music Users Can Not Log-On To Music Match On Demand

The source may be one of the same

By the way how much are the tracks With Music Match On Demand?

I can't log-in and they state .99 cents

Fayetteville, NC, USA

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 06:05:18 pm »

I stand corrected. Sorry King

dcwebman

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 09:52:45 am »

I have never thought of using a service like this but it does sound intriguing. My question to those that have subscribed is, how fast to they get new music?  For example, this past Tuesday the album Revelations by Audioslave came out. Is that on Yahoo Music Unlimited?
Jeff

razumik

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 12:47:11 pm »

It has been my experience that the music is available the same day that it is released in record stores, etc.  The Audioslave album is currently available.

dcwebman

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 11:08:38 am »

Great! Now if I can talk my wife into letting me subscribe!  ;)
Jeff

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 03:15:54 pm »

If you do subscribe make sure you click thru the "Get second year free" offer with Mastercard.  If you take the free 7 day trial first, you may not qualify for the 2 for 1 offer.

When I called Yahoo Billing after I signed up, they did not show me as having clicked thru the offer, so make sure you take screen shots.  They wound up deleting my first account and I signed up again.  And although they told me I qualified on the second account, the system stills shows my billing date as one year later instead of two.

Installation did not go smoothly either, but once it completed properly, the software has been reliable for the most part.  They do have a good selection of songs and the software interface is decent.  What I like better over Napster is that you can view by songs or albums easier.  Yahoo also has a built in server for the Roku Soundbridge which works pretty good.

All in all, I'm glad I signed up despite the bumpy start.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 03:40:12 pm »

so if you use Visa you don't get the second year?

i guess i should have read the fine print
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dcwebman

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2006, 12:37:17 pm »

BullishDad, thanks for the advice. I want to use a Visa but will have to do the Mastercard thing instead. That is definitely the best offer.
Jeff

blargman

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 03:39:47 am »

Yahoo service is nice, their radio is great. Their software is pretty janky tho.  I personally prefer Urge.  They both use the same provider of music, so you get all the same music.  Urge is built into WMP 11 tho, so its performance is pretty decent.

Currently I've got subs to both. total cost like 15$/m i think. Its a drop in the bucket, when i've downloaded 80+ albums off it. And i'm sure i'll download alot more. 

the drm part is a mixed-bag, currently there's ways to remove the drm, but this wasn't so til just recently.  and personally although its better for me to be able to do this, it completely destroys their business model.  and I understand their wants to drm the music. 

cool part is (perhaps since microsoft is backing it) car radio receivers now are shipping that support connecting DRM capable devices(Playsforsure) to. Perhaps only a matter of time til we see receivers that support it. Perhaps there are already some. I've never looked.

*edit* am i right MC uses wmplayer as the backend for playing music? would it at all be possible to integrate Urge into the player? I'd give ya another 40$ just for that :D

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 07:44:21 pm »

The Mastercard "Buy One Year, Get One Free" deal was extended to 1/31/07.

http://music.yahoo.com/mastercard
Pages: [1]   Go Up