INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schemes v. Libraries  (Read 1407 times)

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Schemes v. Libraries
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:18:24 pm »

Is there an easy way to copy schemes and view customisations from one instance of MC to another without taking the underlying media files?

I have a small set of audio & video on my laptop, work out some new wonderful view and then wish to replicate it on my HTPC.  At the moment, I copy the library, delete the media and then reimport it.  This takes time...

Thanks, nick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Schemes v. Libraries
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 10:58:37 am »

Unfortunately not.  While it would be really, really nice if you could save your View Scheme settings to a file (then we could trade our coolest ones here on the forum and easily import/export them from one library to another), that isn't currently available...

The way I do it is to create a duplicate library, using the Library Manager (select clone from when you create a new one).  Then I simply select all the media and delete them from the library (be careful to only choose "Remove from Library" and not the options that actually delete the files though).

Of course, this only works when creating a new library from scratch.  It doesn't let you "merge" View Schemes from different libraries, or copy them around.  I just recreate them manually when I need to do this....  :(
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:17:09 am »

The way I do it is to create a duplicate library, using the Library Manager (select clone from when you create a new one).  Then I simply select all the media and delete them from the library (be careful to only choose "Remove from Library" and not the options that actually delete the files though).

Could you use this procedure, back up the library, and restore the library onto another PC?  Could be a way to copy everything.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:24:59 am »

Could you use this procedure, back up the library, and restore the library onto another PC? Could be a way to copy everything.

This makes an identical duplicate of the library. It cannot be used for quickly importing only a different set of files because a restore changes the view schemes too.

The only way to merge library data (with complete field info) with an existing empty library (or with a library that already has other files) is to export the file data as an MPL playlist and import the MPL file. This is unfortunately as slow as standard import. All field data is included in an MPL file, but for some reason MC wants still check and analyze each imported file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 10:05:40 am »

Sounds like this can only be handled as an MC enhancement, but it would be nice to have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up