INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Set LAME priority during iPod sync  (Read 1428 times)

envyc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Set LAME priority during iPod sync
« on: September 10, 2006, 10:43:06 pm »

I have a question about how to set the base priority for the LAME encoder when syncing my iPod.

Currently I have my library in lossless format. When I sync to my iPod the LAME threads pick up the same base priority as MC itself. I find my sync works far faster if MC waits to do all of the transfers after the conversion is complete.

Is there a switch or option that can force the LAME threads to be a different priority than MC?

JohnM

• World Citizen
Re: Set LAME priority during iPod sync
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:42:18 am »

Hi!
Is there a switch or option that can force the LAME threads to be a different priority than MC?

I don't know... but I've used XP:s Taskmanager. I have a slow computer at home and I noticed the same issue.
Try setting the main programs base priority to something lower than the conversion tasks they should normally be "normal"... (do not increase the priority for the conversion tasks if you intend to do something with the computer while converting/transferring and increasing a priority to realtime or even high is asking for trouble) You can do that on the fly in the Taskmanager.
You could always tweak the number of conversion tasks in MC. On a slower Athlon (no hyperthreading) try reducing the simultaneus conversion tasks in MC:s options for the ...handheld (I think...) Worked for me.

HTH John

envyc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 01:07:47 am »

Try setting the main programs base priority to something lower than the conversion tasks they should normally be "normal"...
HTH John

The problem is that MC re-spawns the LAME process for each file and they inherit the base priority of MC each time. I know that you can specify a priority for a task as a switch when starting a program under XP, but that is through a shortcut or command line.

JohnM

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 01:40:37 am »

The problem is that MC re-spawns the LAME process for each file and they inherit the base priority of MC each time.
Had no idea! Done this only once...
Anyway I know very little of MC's internal doings. Perhaps there are some LAME-setting that you can force upon the encoding process (LAME as external encoder?).
I found that there have been some discussion about this earlier: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t39938.html

BR John

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 03:00:51 am »

Try this, works for me on XP Pro SP2:

--priority 1 -V2 --vbr-new --noreplaygain
Pages: [1]   Go Up