INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fullscreen or letterbox  (Read 1515 times)

jojo1967

• Recent member
  • I'm a music junkie
fullscreen or letterbox
« on: September 13, 2006, 01:35:27 pm »

Hi all,

I've been having a bit of trouble of late.... when I watch a movie, or even visuals (G-force) MC won't use my entire screen??!  I use my Soyo 32" TV/monitor (VGA Mode input) @ 1280 x 1024 @ 60 hz.  This one has been driving me nuts lately, Windows displays on the entire screen, and infact can switch the monitor from 4:3 to 16:9.

Any ideas here? am I stuck with the letterbox effect?  I've told the graphics driver to use the entire screen, (no borders).

I'm using a Dell Dimension E510 if that helps with XP MCE 2005.  I'd be happy to share system specs or other info if needed, but figured this should be enough to start with.

TIA
jojo

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: fullscreen or letterbox
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 01:43:30 pm »

I think I figured it out!  I was certainly confused at first, but then the same thing happened to me in G-Force on my new work computer today...

I think you have two separate issues.

First, when you are playing Video, check the Aspect Ratio settings (right click on the Video window in Playing Now and choose Aspect Ratios) and you'll likely discover you have it set to something odd.  Set it to Source Aspect Ratio for most videos.  Sometimes if you try to play a video that isn't properly encoded (or a file type that doesn't store aspect ratio data) you'll need to set this manually to something different.  The setting persists though so remember to check there if your video playback is weird if you've messed with it.

Secondly, I think G-Force is a separate issue.  If the "letterbox" effect only occurs when you have G-Force full screen (or big anyway), then you probably have it set to have a frame height limit.  Open the G-Force toolbar (on the Start Menu) and open the Visualization Preferences.  Set the Frame Height and Frame Width limits to No Limit (or at least make sure it exceeds your selected resolution in Full Screen Mode on the right).

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jojo1967

• Recent member
  • I'm a music junkie
Re: fullscreen or letterbox
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 06:39:09 pm »

ahh Haa!

That did it indeed...

I didn't even notice that one LOL, the height was set to 800

on the video isues, my system was set up to play to windows media player, I think the default.
I switched it too (unchecked it) which gave me the options for the aspect ratio.  I played with a few of the settings and found the "anamorphic" to do the trick.

Good observation on that one ... and thank you much!  all is as it should be now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up