INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BURN or RIP over network  (Read 2222 times)

surfikus

• Recent member
BURN or RIP over network
« on: September 15, 2006, 12:44:02 am »

Hello,

it's my first topic and I hope that the question isn't answered many time before, but I didn't found it :-(
It's like that: My MC11 is running in the cellar and in urgend cases I logon the PC via VNC. The question is if it's possible to burn a CD from MC11 on a network PC or to rip from a network PC. I don't like to run downstairs each time I need a media-cd. Or does someone knows an alternative for this, special client on network PC,...

Thanks in advance

Jan

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: BURN or RIP over network
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 10:31:44 am »

Install MC on the client, rip the CD on the client, and then copy the ripped files to the server.

j

surfikus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 12:48:07 pm »

Thanks for the proposal, but Iīve thought on somethink like a special tool which can link MC from the server directly to the CDR/DVDR from an other PC - I donīt want to copy afterwards.
Probably itīs not possible?!  ?

Jan

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 01:24:01 pm »

Unfortunately, Windows networking does not support optical drives over the network very well (especially not burning).  Some drive manufacturers do offer a proprietary "network burning" feature (Plextor does with the Plexitools I believe) but they are typically "windows-only" and you need to use their burning application package.

My solution for ripping is to have the media drive in the server mounted as a network disk on the "work machine" and I use MC to rip directly to it.  You can certainly rip from a local optical drive onto a network disk!  Then you can simply run the Import Wizard on the server box to allow it to "see" the new files.

Burning isn't always as reliable from within MC when the files live on a network drive.  I typically use Nero to burn my media which properly caches network files (and has a verification procedure).  There are other options though... One is to add a special local folder as a fake "handheld" device, and then use MC's Handheld sync tools to copy the files you'd like to burn over to a local directory (which you can then burn from within MC).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 01:31:41 pm »

My solution (which isn't very well tested yet) is to backup my music machine to my laptop using my laptop as a portable device. When I have a CD I want to rip and I'm not next to the music machine, I can just check the laptop library to see if it is there, and if not rip it to a special directory. Next time I'm home, I copy the special directory files to the music machine and import.

j

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 01:41:14 pm »

I posted on ripping/burning to and from an NAS and it was moved to the Other hardware section. I have 4 drives in a networked PC that I would rather put in an NAS for simultaneously burns and rips; sucks to hear windows doesn't support this.

DC

surfikus

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 01:26:36 am »

Thanks to all for the ideas. I will think of the different ways and will check the possibility of the burn/rip-nas machine. Probably I will find "the" solution for my house.

Jan

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 01:35:50 am »

I posted on ripping/burning to and from an NAS and it was moved to the Other hardware section. I have 4 drives in a networked PC that I would rather put in an NAS for simultaneously burns and rips; sucks to hear windows doesn't support this.

I actually saw that other posting today DC, but figured you'd see this one here so didn't bother responding to both.  Yeah... OS support for networked "peripherals" is really dismal.  Think finding network CD burning tools is hard?  Try finding a decent networkable scanner (sure, office-quality ones are available, but nothing with a decent DMAX rating at all)!

Roxio Toast "Pro" (for OSX) now includes a network burn option.  I don't know if Nero7 or the newer Roxio ECDC (ugh!) contain anything similar (I still use Nero6 myself).  That's about all I do know of...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up