INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calculating CD Capacity  (Read 1415 times)

parkdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Calculating CD Capacity
« on: September 23, 2006, 11:28:05 am »

When adding tracks to a CD to be burned, MC indicates I have exceeded the capacity of the CD (650mb?). When I allow it to continue it finnishes with a CD that has only 350mb. I understand that because the list is a mix of wav and mp3 (different bit rates) that once every thing is converted to mp3 the end result is more compact.

Question: How can I tell what the actuall space needed will be after the conversions? Trial & Error?

Also, MC doesn't seem to recognize when I have inserted a DVD (4.5 g?). It seems to only want to allow the standard CD capacity. Is there a way to make a DVD MP3 data disc that will play as a MP3 audio disc?

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Calculating CD Capacity
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 11:13:17 pm »

I have run into the same problem many times using FLAC.  It really angers me and I sincerely wish they would devote time to fixing it because it really screws my MC experience up.  I think if I converted all my 9,080 songs to APE, it might work but I really don't want to use APE if I absolutely don't have to--plus, converting a bunch of files, I have heard, can present errors that you may not notice until you delete your original library--which took hundreds of hours or so to create in the first place--so I would be taking a big risk.  I don't have any way to simply archive my FLAC collection for that possible case--not going to use ~50 DVDs.

I strongly request this issue is resolved completely!

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 02:36:58 pm »

To be fair, until the tracks have been converted there's no accurate way to tell how big each file will be
To get the right size MC would have to convert the files first and to save them to a buffer space
Pro - You'll get the right size
Con - Go and get a coffee while it's doing it

I could live with that though  :)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:20:09 pm »

There is when you use constant bitrate encoding, right?  I'd be perfectly happy sacrificing the quality of VBR to get a decent burn!  I can't!  My mp3 player has the same problems--it doesn't calculate it right.

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:10:28 pm »

agreed, this bugs me.
Perhaps even a slightly exagerrated answer would be better than nothing.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up