INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash When YADB Is Down  (Read 1889 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Crash When YADB Is Down
« on: September 23, 2006, 11:45:03 pm »

When I'm ripping, and YADB is down, and I cancel the lookup, MC will usually crash.  Do others have the same problem?  To me it looks like YADB does not have complete error handling.

pertang

• nothing more to say...
Re: Crash When YADB Is Down
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 04:44:40 am »

Yeah, happening to me too. It's getting to me now. Don't know whether YADB is actually down, or just MC having a lie down.

Swampfox

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 09:24:30 am »

It happens a lot. I can also make it happen with certain mouse clicks to rip a CD. After re-starting the is no problem with YADB. Sometimes, it re-starts with the tag data already filled in. Clearly not YADB being down, but rather a MC issue.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 11:03:25 am »

When you go to the home page of MC - it shows web content.  When it does not have the web content, YADB does not work.  Usually when YADB causes MC a crash - I will not see web content when I bring MC back up.  Due to the YADB problems - I try not try to use it (to rip CDs) unless I see the internet content on the home page.  Of course it can also go down after I start, but at least this approach helps minimize the problems.

So I believe this is related to error handling within YADB (on the MC client side? - or the server side?) - it is not testing for establishing and maintaining a valid connection.  So if all of the YADB testing is done when there is a valid connection - these problems will not be found - YADB should be tested with no connection - and a connection that gets dropped.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 06:15:36 pm »

Actually I No Longer Believe YADB is going down.  MC just loses the connection to the JR site.  You can shut MC11 down and bring it back up and it still does not connect.  If I start up MC12, then MC11 works.  If you reboot, then MC11 works.  Some process running in the background loses the connection & has to be killed and restarted for it to connect again to the JR site.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 06:17:57 pm »

The problem isn't YADB.  We believe it's in the Windows OS software component, wininet.  We think we've found a way around it in MC12.  If so, you'll see it soon in MC11.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 06:45:32 pm »

The problem isn't YADB.  We believe it's in the Windows OS software component, wininet.  We think we've found a way around it in MC12.  If so, you'll see it soon in MC11.

JimH,

Thanks...

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 04:50:24 pm »

it's happening to me too, but it only seems to have happened recently.

Of course there have been a lot of Microsoft updates lately, so who knows?

I was fairly sure it started with a particular MC11 version though...
Pages: [1]   Go Up