INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Audio Receivers  (Read 1513 times)

parkdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Digital Audio Receivers
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:57:20 pm »

I am looking at DARs and would like to know if I bought a Soundbridge, could I control MC on my PC (wired) in my office from my laptop in the den (Wireless), using the Soundbridge to grab the audio from the network and play it on the audio sys in the den?

In other words, can I control MC from a remote PC? I know I can use the Music server on MC to run another copy of MC remotely. But if I have the Soundbridge pick up the audio from the remote PC, isn't that redundant, sending the digital file from the main MC PC to the Remote PC and then to the DAR?

Using the MC Music Server works fine from the remote laptop, but I want the audio fed to the audio system without having to tether the laptop to the audio system, while controlling MC remotely.

Any sense?

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Digital Audio Receivers
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:30:13 pm »

Edit: I re-read your post and it sounds like you're asking about a non-conventional way to use the Soundbridge.  I'm not sure that will work.  My answer below was for a conventional setup where you have a PC in another room on a wireless network.  The Soundbridge connects to your stereo system.

You should be good with the Soundbridge.  I have the M1001 and it's working fine, although I haven't used it all that much.  There are a number of threads that you can find by searching for "Soundbridge".

Here is one of them:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34287.0

I had a problem with a firewall that was setup by Microsoft Live OneCare, but I found a solution which is posted in the thread.

It's definitely a cool thing to be able to access your MC playlists from another part of the house.

parkdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 12:18:33 am »

OK, so this is what ended up working for me.  So far it's almost perfect!

MC 11 on PC in office - wired- P4 xp- approx 250 gig of wave/mp3/ape files on usb 300G HD - running music server.

MC 11 on Laptop den - wireless G- 2.4 Centrino Duo (cheap Dell) - getting library from MC server (office)
 and upnp server. Also running Linksys Util. (auto detect).

Den Audio - Linksys WMG54G Music Bridge - wired - TOS output to rec. -

How it works: Start MC in office, Library server starts at startup.
Start MC on den laptop ( loading office library from server) start upnp server (automatic device setting)  and make sure the linksys util is running.
Turn on audio system.
At this point I can control what is playing on the den a/v from the den laptop (wireless), all of which is being served from my office pc.

It seems to work great.  I have complete control of the a/v stream from the wireless laptop.  MC even controls the volume. Wha Hoo, I can sit and choose, play whatever from across the room. This thing actually works!

Questions...is there a way to min HD activity, since I assume these things are working all the time as servers. Can songs be loaded into ram when play requests are made? Is this already happening?

OK, so the office server has the files, the den laptop requests play and the Linksys bridge intercepts the files. Are the files ever sent to the laptop (requesting computer)? If so, does this config double the network traffic (Server-Laptop-Bridge)? Since the laptop is at a much slower link (54mps) compared to wired Ethernet (100mps) I would expect to see heavy bandwidth use, but I don't, and yet these same files are being playing simultaneously by the a/v (Linksys WMB54g) AND the laptop.

If I'm being a total rube, sorry. I just think this is really cool, that it works....

I tried the Soundbridge but the control from the laptop was roundabout. It worked, but not as a control station. Although I did find a nice util that lets you control the Soundbridge from PPC or web called Visual Media Remote.  I think I'm going to end up putting it next to my bed to listen to TAL audible files (good morning).

Bottom line, so far I'm in disbelief! It's a totally cool way to explore your music library.

Keep up the "insanely great" work j river...

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 09:50:36 pm »

Try this free application.  It acts as a UPnP control point of sorts.  Lets you control multiple Soundbridge devices.  I haven't tried the latest version, but the older ones worked OK.  The main limitation is that MC's UPnP server doesn't support search, so you can't browse by album, artist, etc.  You can, however, browse through MC's tree, so you have full control.

http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/visualmr.php?lang=e

The developer hangs out on Roku's forum, so if you need help try searching or posting there. 

Good luck...
Pages: [1]   Go Up