INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod problems  (Read 1110 times)

stuart_tetley

• Recent member
iPod problems
« on: September 26, 2006, 03:29:39 pm »

Hello,

I've been trying to get MC to recognize my new iPod (5G, 60 Gb) without any success.  It appears as a removable drive in Windows just fine, but MC will not identify it as a media player (which is ironic, as I've used 2 or 3 different usb memory cards in the past, each of which MC has offered to treat as a media player.

I've gone through all the usual things - Apple's 5 R procedure etc.  After some trouble, I've managed to get iTunes to work with it on another PC, but I really don't want to have to use iTunes.

Finally, I decided to uninstall and reinstall MC (11.1.200 - I had already upgraded), and now on startup, I get the following warning message:

This probably explains why it's not working....

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stuart

[System info follows]

Media Center Registered 11.1.200 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 2380 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 660 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81.4916 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2800 / Shell32.dll: 5.0.3900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

razumik

• World Citizen
Re: iPod problems
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 07:10:28 pm »

Stuart,

Not sure why you are receiving the WMDM error when you have the Ipod plugged in since I am pretty sure that MC has native support for the Ipod and does not need the WMDM support.  Not sure if it will help, but you can try the following:

--Make sure that all usb memory cards or flash memory is not connected to the system.  Also disconnect the Ipod.
--Make sure that there are no other programs running that might want to use the Ipod as an external drive.  For instance, Photoshop Elements will see the cover art as pictures and try to import them...etc.
--Open MC.  Under OPTIONS-HANDHELD click on re-detect all devices.  This should remove all handheld settings on your pc...so only do this if you are not currently syncing anothe device in MC.
--Plug the Ipod in and see if MC recognizes it as an Ipod.  If it does, it should see the songs that you have already transferred over using iTunes.  You should then be able to set up the sync options.

Hope this helps.

stuart_tetley

• Recent member
Re: iPod problems
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 04:40:46 pm »

Thanks for the ideas.  I had already tried most of these (not in exactly the same way but close) before resorting to uninstalling and reinstalling MC11.1.  After the reinstall was when the WMDM warning started appearing (this was without anything plugged in - iPod or any other USB memory device.)

I tried the iPod on my home machine. Same MC version.  Worked like a charm, and happily uploaded an album (with cover art.)   So I concluded that something was broken on my laptop's Win2K install (not surprising, as it hasn't had an OS reinstall for a while.)

As I now have access to the MC12 beta, I installed this on my laptop. Again on launch, the WMDM warning popped, but when I plugged in the iPod, MC detected and correctly identified it right away (though it put up a picture of a black iPod while mine's white. lol) and is now happily loading music onto it.  ;D

As a sidenote, after loading from my home machine, I plugged the iPod into a PC which still had iTunes 7 running on it.  I don't know what it did, but the album I had loaded from MC disappeared, while the one I had earlier loaded from iTunes was fine.  Is this normal?  If so, I guess the moral is to banish iTunes as far away as possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up