INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 1134 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Podcasts
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:09:58 am »

This problem exists in MC 11, and might just be an issue with the way I'm using podcasts, but it'd be great if it could be improved for MC 12.

Basically the problem is that my podcasts aren't cleaned up nicely.

I sync my podcasts to my iPOD and listen on that. I have my iPOD's play count info synced back to MC and that is applied to my podcasts correctly. I know this because my iPOD sync playlist filters for podcasts with playcount=0.

The issue is that the podcasts just keep accumulating until I delete them manually. While that isn't too much of a hassle, it becomes a hassle because MC keeps trying to download the podcasts again right after I delete them. This is probably because I have my podcasts set to download all episodes, but I have to do that because sometimes more than one episode is published very quickly, so if I only download the latest I could miss some.

So, what I'd like are some more options for cleaning up podcasts. For me personally an option like Delete X Days After Being Played would be perfect. I assume others have their own usage patterns and would like other options.

Alternatively, it'd be nice if there was an option to say Never Automatically Download a Podcast I've Deleted Manually.

Finally, I have one more issue related to podcasts. I've noticed that sometimes if I've synced a podcast episode to my iPOD and then (while trying to cleanup my podcasts) delete and then re-download an episode, the sync logic is not recognizing the second download (of the same episode) as the exact same episode so I end up with two copies of the same episode on my iPOD.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 03:31:10 pm »

Odd, I'm not seeing the same issue with re-downloads on 11.200 (or any of the recent builds).

Current practice:
Most set to download 'All Episodes'.
I manually delete most files as soon as I am done listening to them.  I've added a 'Number Plays' column to the front of my Podcast views so I can easily identify these after syncing back from my iPod.

The only podcast that I have that suffers from re-downloads is the author's fault since they keep messing up their feed and changing the ID's - this causes redownload issues with many (if not all) clients.

One thought for managing your podcasts - create a second smartlist that only includes playcount > 0 and just mass delete them from there.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:18:53 pm »

Hmm, interesting. I've seen this problem ever since I started using podcasts (back in earlier 11.x builds) and still see it in the new 12.x builds. Can anyone at JRiver shed some light on the logic used to determine when to download a deleted podcast and/or a way to debug this further?
Pages: [1]   Go Up