INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not remembering tree expansion  (Read 2224 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Not remembering tree expansion
« on: September 29, 2006, 07:39:43 am »

I am sure this has come up before but I'll ask again. Let's say I have the Playlists menu open and am nested in a few child items. If I close the Playlists tree by clicking the Playlists down arrow, if I open up Playlists again, the tree has been collapsed again and I have to work my way down the tree again to find out where I was. Is there some logical reason why the tree format can't be remembered if closed and opened?
Jeff

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
Re: Not remembering tree expansion
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 01:17:25 pm »

When working with a play list that is several layers deep (in this case Playlists > iPod > _Podcast Queue).  If you go to another part of the tree to add more items to the playlist (for example Podcasts >) the Playlists tree completely closes and forget's it's place.  So after adding a couple of items you have to dig back down to the playlist to review/change it.

It would be nice if tree expansions stayed open for the duration of the current session unless explicitly closed.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:17:23 am »

The expansion behavior is not consistent.  Everything above 'Podcasting' stays open when you change focus.  Everything below 'Podcasting' (Playlists, Drives and Devices, and Services & Plug-ins) does not.  Any reason for these items 'auto closing' when everything else stays where you put it?

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:49:48 am »

This issue and the  inconsistencies have been a pet peeve of mine since I first started with MC 9.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 07:34:50 am »

If an item is auto-expanded, it will be auto-collapsed.  This is consistent for all selections.

You can disable auto-expansion in Tree & View options if you don't like it for some reason.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 08:32:46 am »

If an item is auto-expanded, it will auto-collapsed.  This is consistent for all selections.

You can disable auto-expansion in Tree & View options if you don't like it for some reason.

Thanks - the 'auto expand' option didn't suggest to me 'auto collapse' as well.

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 01:36:03 pm »

If an item is auto-expanded, it will be auto-collapsed.  This is consistent for all selections.

I already have Auto Expand unchecked. However if the tree is getting too long for my 14" widescreen laptop display so I don't have to scroll so much, I will manually collapse the section, say Playlists. When I expand it again, it should look just like what it did when I collapsed it. At least this is what a lot of programs do.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 03:55:26 pm »

I already have Auto Expand unchecked. However if the tree is getting too long for my 14" widescreen laptop display so I don't have to scroll so much, I will manually collapse the section, say Playlists. When I expand it again, it should look just like what it did when I collapsed it. At least this is what a lot of programs do.

This is a different report and we agree.  MC builds the tree dynamically so that it can accomodate millions of items without slowdowns.  It also destroys children on a collapse to reclaim resources.

We either need to save what was expanded or else not destroy children on collapse.  We're still thinking about what is best.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 05:53:11 pm »

We either need to save what was expanded or else not destroy children on collapse.  We're still thinking about what is best.

How much memory are we talking?  I certainly prefer a lighter, faster MC...

But, the lack of "collapsing recall" annoys me sometimes as well (though sometimes it comes in handy when you just want to "collapse the whole tree" because you're done with whatever it was).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 11:14:42 pm »

If you add the option to remember all expansions, there should also be a way to easily 'forget' them (like it does now).  Asking to have it remember is one of those 'be careful what you ask for' items.  Perhaps a right click option to 'collapse all' that destructively collapses all open trees for those times that things have gotten out of hand and you want a 'fresh start' on the tree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up