INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing files with new files in library  (Read 1424 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Replacing files with new files in library
« on: September 29, 2006, 08:36:36 am »

Some time ago somebody posted a proper procedure on how to properly update the library when replacing an audio/image file with a better version (higher resolution, bigger size). Unable to find it with search! Can anybody help?

DarkPenguin

Re: Replacing files with new files in library
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 10:37:59 am »

You should just be able to swap the files out on disk and let auto import deal with it.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:24:33 am »

Assuming the files have the same filenames:

using explorer, replace the poorer quality files with the better quality ones.

open MC.
go to the album, select all the files and do an update tags from library, followed by an update library from tags. (remember and do them in that order)

watch out for Otto...
if Otto is watching the folder those files are in, he'll most likely beat you to it and 'update for external changes' which would not be so good.

The above steps assume a like for like swap. If you're going from, say, mp3 to flac, then you'll need to use the find and replace tool to change the the extension on the mp3's to flac first:
In the list, click the select none button, then locate filename in the list and tick it. Find .mp3 replace with .flac. click OK then follow the steps in the quote above.

You should just be able to swap the files out on disk and let auto import deal with it.
I lost library info a while back in tests. My theory was that Otto performed an 'update from tags' on the files, and as there were no tags, things didn't work out quite as planned. I never went near again after that, choosing the manual steps instead. You think this might be worth testing again?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 11:33:40 am »

Let's say I replace a 800x600 jpg file by a 1280x1024 jpg file.

Case 1: the new file is untagged! Will tags in the library be cleaned, will the dimensions field be update, what about the thumbnail?

Case 2: the new file has already been tagged (for instance in MC11). Will the new tags override the old ones in the library?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 12:04:46 pm »

OK, just ran some tests...

Case 1: dimensions and thumbnail are updated, existing library info remains intact, but, tags are not saved to the new file automatically, you must force the issue with an update tags from library if you want the tags written to the file.

Case 2: If the file contains tag data that differs from the existing library data, then yes, the data in the tags will replace the data in library. Library data that is not in the file tags will be left untouched.

I think Case 2 could potentially be the one where you might not want Otto's intervention, giving you the chance to run 'update tags from library' first to bring the file tags in line with the library. Follow up with update library from tags to update dimensions, file size, thumbnail etc.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 01:10:21 pm »

Thanks marko,

seems to have become easier in MC12 than it used to be in MC11! I remember a rather complex procedure posted by someone!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 01:29:59 pm »

a quick 'ps' regarding case 1...

In my test, 'no tags' really meant, 'no tags'.

If your updated file contains EXIF or IPTC data, MC will parse these and if things such as dates, locations, keywords etc. exist, MC will import the values into the library, replacing any existing library data.

While it's true that Otto can help smooth the process, I personally prefer to do file upgrades manually, because that way, I feel I have tighter control over valuable library data pertaining to those files.

-marko.
Pages: [1]   Go Up