INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Share with iTunes  (Read 2599 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Request: Share with iTunes
« on: September 29, 2006, 10:23:55 am »

One issue that I have with MC is that it's difficult for me to access my media library from my Macs.  While I can mount the media library directly and then scan the files with iTunes, this has limited usefulness.  Also, at work I like to make use of iTunes' ability to "share" libraries to let a couple of my friends listen to my music.  This works quite well and is easy to use...

There are two things I'd really like to see with a future version of MC:

1) The ability to "share" my library in MC so that it would show up in iTunes (just like you can in iTunes).  Then I could move all my media over to my Windows box at work.  Right now, I have to keep my music on a Mac so I can share it using mt-daapd, which is an open-source implementation of the iTunes sharing system (which I use because then I don't have to keep iTunes open all the time on the box that I use for the sharing).  This certainly isn't illegal, as it's offered and supported by Apple.  To prevent piracy, iTunes does not let the remote users copy the media onto their own machines (mt-daapd has this limitation too). 

2) This is less important to me personally, but I think it would be a very popular feature.  It would be nice if MC could also see and use the iTunes shares that live on the network.  That way, while at work and using MC (which of course I vastly prefer to iTunes) I could browse and listen to music that others have shared using iTunes.  One complaint I've heard when recommending MC to my friends is that then they couldn't listen to the shared music like they can with iTunes (mostly they'd miss my library I think).  "Greasing the transition" by supporting that interop feature would be greatly appreciated I expect.

Since there are open-source implementations of the iTunes sharing system, it probably wouldn't be all THAT difficult to implement (you certainly wouldn't have to reverse engineer anything).  Apple has published the "specs" for Rendezvous (or whatever they're calling it now), and it's an open standard.

What do you think?

EDIT: mt-daapd is now apparently called Firefly Media Server.  It's still open source though.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lOth

Re: Request: Share with iTunes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 02:18:22 pm »

What do you think?

I think I completely agree with you and that 1) is also more important than 2) for me.

While we still don't have an integrated daap server in MC (plugin anyone?) do you know of a Windows equivalent to this Firefly Media Server?

I've tried WinDaapd but iTunes could not connect to it (the shared library appeared in the iTunes menu, but the actual connection failed). I think it might be an iTunes 7 related problem.

lOth

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 03:21:22 pm »

*bump* for a 'no way' answer?

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:42:03 pm »

I just got a new Mac and now I am looking for something to do glynor's #1 request.

Also, glynor, can you explain more about this...
While I can mount the media library directly and then scan the files with iTunes, this has limited usefulness.
... like, how do you do that and why is it limited?
Sue

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 06:28:28 pm »

Sounds interesting, but it isn't something JRiver will undertake in the next three months.

Perhaps a third-party plugin author would be interested in carrying the torch? (or even the Firefly authors)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 08:14:57 am »

I'd really like to see something like this too.  :)
I've got to many incomplete projects over my head already so I'm not volunteering however :P

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 10:49:33 am »

Also, glynor, can you explain more about this... ... like, how do you do that and why is it limited?

Sorry... I missed this question.

Mounting a network share is simple.  First off, make sure you've shared the directory on your Windows box.  I won't really get into this, but if you have Windows XP Pro it's quite easy (it's possible but limited with XP Home).  Google "share windows network" or something similar for more info.  I've also previously posted tips on this process here (in response to KingSparta not too long ago I think).

Anyway, once it's shared properly, on your Mac simply go to Go --> Connect to Server (from the Finder).  You can either browse the network for the share or type in your server's IP address.  If your router can handle internal DNS or static hosts you may be able to enter the machine's hostname instead.  After you connect to the remote machine, it will ask for a username and password (enter the one for the Windows machine, not the OSX box) and then present you with a list of the shares on the network machine to connect to.  You can save the username and password to your keychain and it won't ask for them again (unless it changes).

Once you do all of this, it will "mount" the remote drive on your desktop just like you'd inserted a CD or connected an external drive.  You can then add the files to iTunes and do whatever else you want with them.

There are actually quite a few limitations of this system, but the biggest is that you have to have an account on the "sharing" machine and be able to directly connect to it!

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 11:00:57 am »

Thanks glynor. I should have been more specific in my question. The items your sharing on the Windows machine are the song files themselves, yes? Not the MC library with it's ratings, smartlists, etc. When you said you mounted the "media library" I got excited and thought there was a way to read MC's database in iTunes.

Man, iTunes is a dog coming from MC. Never liked it on Windows and still dislike it on Mac.
Sue

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 11:25:24 am »

Thanks glynor. I should have been more specific in my question. The items your sharing on the Windows machine are the song files themselves, yes? Not the MC library with it's ratings, smartlists, etc. When you said you mounted the "media library" I got excited and thought there was a way to read MC's database in iTunes.

Man, iTunes is a dog coming from MC. Never liked it on Windows and still dislike it on Mac.

Correct and yes.  iTunes stinks like a moldy crouton.

Hopefully if you got a Mac you got an Intel one so you can use BootCamp and/or Parallels to run MC!

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 02:20:33 pm »

Yes, I got a MacBook Pro. Parallels sounds very cool. I downloaded it, but haven't tried it yet. I'm assuming I need another copy of Windows XP since the one I have is already activated on my desktop PC. I might have to wait until I switch my desktop to Vista so I can use the XP license for the Mac. I guess I could try it with Win2K in the meantime.
Sue

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 02:57:12 pm »

Yes, I got a MacBook Pro. Parallels sounds very cool. I downloaded it, but haven't tried it yet. I'm assuming I need another copy of Windows XP since the one I have is already activated on my desktop PC. I might have to wait until I switch my desktop to Vista so I can use the XP license for the Mac. I guess I could try it with Win2K in the meantime.

Definitely check out the new beta of Parallels.  I haven't had enough time to check it out yet, but it seems like it might be able to use the same "install" of XP as BootCamp.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/12/1/6146

Lots of other improvements too!

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 02:29:41 am »

Parrallels is looking better all the time. I expect I'll make the switch next year when leopard hits the shelves.

Has anybody tried using Media Center on a mac? I was reading that the parrallels still doesnt do directx, and I assume MC uses directx?
Pages: [1]   Go Up