INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple display issues with MC12  (Read 1551 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Multiple display issues with MC12
« on: September 30, 2006, 01:32:13 pm »

Multi-monitor use seems to be broken (or at least very counter intuitive) in MC12.

MC 11 worked fine with multiple displays.  I had video set to always play back full screen on monitor 2, and it would do that while still leaving my main MC window on monitor 1 for me to work with.  With MC12, I have set the same options as MC11 (run video full screen on monitor 2) - but now instead of using a second window it moves the main window over to monitor 2 and leaves it there.  If you un-maximize the window, it jumps back over to monitor one then re-maximizing takes it back to full screen on monitor 1.

Is there a way to make MC12 work the same way with multiple monitors as MC11?  I want it to 'normally' display video in a detached window as full screen on monitor 2.  The only way I can see to currently make this work would be to have MC start the video on monitor 1 - then right click the video and chose detach display - then move the window to monitor 2 and maximize it there.

Also, while playing with this I changed the display option from monitor 2 to monitor 1 while the video was playing and the MC window just disappeared.  Had to click on the task bar item to bring it back in focus.

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Re: Multiple display issues with MC12
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 06:58:21 am »

I too can only get the playback window on Monitor 1, not 2.  I thought it was my driver at fault, but it appears not.  If I window the full screen and drag the window from monitor 1 to monitor 2, I still don;t see what's playing.  The playing now surround is fine, just nothing appears in the middle of the window.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 09:35:55 am »

MC 11 worked fine with multiple displays.  I had video set to always play back full screen on monitor 2, and it would do that while still leaving my main MC window on monitor 1 for me to work with.  With MC12, I have set the same options as MC11 (run video full screen on monitor 2) - but now instead of using a second window it moves the main window over to monitor 2 and leaves it there.

Correct.  The "unified" display view means that the UI moves with the "full screen view".  This is the reason for the Detached Display, so that you can still get the same functionality.  The Detached Display will remember it's size and position (including which monitor it was on and whether it was full-screen or not last time) when you "re-attach it".  So, to always have it running full-screen on the second monitor...

Set your Display Settings --> Full Screen --> Monitor setting to Nearest Monitor (the default).  Unless you want the UI to move to a specific monitor when you go full screen this is what you'll need to set, and it's really what most people should use now.  Start a video or something playing and detach the display.  Move it to the second monitor and full-screen it (double click).  Now, don't un-full screen it to bring it back but instead either: 1) click in the Playing Now window on the main MC UI (where it says "click here to bring it back", or 2) right click in the full screen display and choose "reattach display".  You should have your video back in the main MC UI.

Now, try it again.  Start a different video, right click and choose Detach Display.  It should automatically go full screen on your second monitor.  It goes where-ever you last put it, however you last put it, when you last "reattached" it.

As I just posted over here, the new MC12 multi-monitor stuff is actually quite a bit more powerful than MC11's was.  It does take some getting used to, but for people who have never used MC at all before (so aren't used the the somewhat weird "choose your full-screen monitor ahead of time" way that MC11 worked) I think it's actually quite a bit more intuitive.  Just leave that Full Screen setting alone, put it where you want it, and it remembers to go there next time.  Simple.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 09:40:50 am »

I too can only get the playback window on Monitor 1, not 2.  I thought it was my driver at fault, but it appears not.  If I window the full screen and drag the window from monitor 1 to monitor 2, I still don;t see what's playing.  The playing now surround is fine, just nothing appears in the middle of the window.

This likely is a video card driver setting.  Check in the driver settings for something called Video Settings --> Clone settings (or Theater Settings) and set both monitors to use Standard Mode.  If you happen to have an ATI card with the Catalyst Control Center you'll want it to look like this:

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up