INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great idea!  (Read 3215 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Great idea!
« on: October 05, 2006, 08:32:38 am »

I own the full WM Recorder 11.  My local news posts weather reports th the net.  I would like to setup a batch file that would automatically start playing the weather report every 8 hours.  WM Recorder automatically captures the file.  Then, it should be the same filename--so I'll make sure to have the batch delete the old file.

Now I want to embed this in my Start page that my family uses as our home page.  Does anyone have some good resources for free flash players that play wmv video or how to simply embed a video so it uses the WMP player?  I really want this to work!  Then, when we open our homepage, it wil stream from our local server and be instantaneous--and really informative!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Great idea!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:56:04 am »

You can do it Microsoft's way using ActiveX and the Object tag, but that's pretty complex and it'll only work using IE and Windows (boo).

Here's a way that uses the <embed> tag and will work from within Firefox, Netscape, Safari, Opera, and many other browsers and OSes:

http://www.workz.com/content/view_content.html?section_id=521&content_id=5937

Microsoft's way does allow more control over the embedded media, but compatibility (and the trouble it takes to build/find and use the ActiveX control) is a steep price to pay, IMHO.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Great idea!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:27:56 am »

What I really want is for it to just show up in a small box and start playing immediately.  Realize that I have a web server and the majority of the access to this "Start" page will be over our 100Mb network so there should be literally now slow downs at all because it will be downloaded ahead of time.  I'm thinking I'll setup the batch file to execute (open) the link that plays the video.  Then, WM Recorder will save it to a specific place.  Then, the file will be moved to the web server location and named the same, replacing the old file.

This way, the latest will always be downloaded and ready to go for Start!  I'll check into that when I have more time this weekend.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up