INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital links  (Read 3194 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Digital links
« on: October 09, 2006, 09:12:09 am »

Awright... I gotta ask and see what others know about this.

I am very skeptical about sound quality differences over digital lines, like optical or coaxial. To me this is very simple: bits go over a line and either arrive or they don't. If they don't, there's some sort of CRC check and correction to make up for the loss. If the loss is too big you may hear artifacts, but quality will not be affected the same way as with analog connections. Yet, as with so many things called snake oil, people claim to hear differences and slick salesmen will try to convince you into buying the 100$ digital optical cable. Even worse, when I replace my coaxial cable to my subwoofer for a regular cable that happens to have the same connectors I tend to believe I hear a difference  ?. When I think about it, I convince myself its impossible. I know, I'm a weird guy huh?

I now want to draw a simple, cheap copper line from my pc's spdif output to my receiver. This cable is gonna be 10-15 meters. Not a problem if you ask me, but what do you think?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Digital links
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 04:17:21 pm »

I just noticed your post.

I have a coaxial connection that goes from downstairs to upstairs. It's about 8-9 meters. The first six meters consist of a free subwoofer cable that came with my old AudioPro subwoofer. After that I have an adapter that makes possible to attach another RCA cable, which happens to be one half of an old thin stereo cable. I have had no problems so far.

Instead of buying expensive "digital" cables you could make your own from a standard antenna cable. 75 ohm coaxial antenna cable meets the SPDIF standard. Buy 10-15 m of high quality 75 ohm antenna cable and solder the RCA plugs (or let someone do the soldering job).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 04:31:54 pm »

I was in a PC world type shop yesterday and was almost killing
myself with laughter when I saw a "2m GOLD Plated USB Cable" they wanted
£15 for it.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 06:19:50 am »

Yup. Made the cable today. Bought 15 meters of RF 75ohm cable and soldered on the connectors.  :P

Works great! Thx guys ;)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 02:42:29 pm »

I was in a PC world type shop yesterday and was almost killing
myself with laughter when I saw a "2m GOLD Plated USB Cable" they wanted
£15 for it.

I gotta say that is a riot.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up