INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sorting and encoding  (Read 1165 times)

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
sorting and encoding
« on: October 14, 2006, 04:22:16 pm »

A couple of questions as I reacquaint myself with MC:

1. I imported a ton of albums from iTunes; some are displayed in MC as First Name, Last Name; some are Last Name, First Name.
I can't figure out why some are one way and others the other. I can force one way or the other with album artist, but I don't think that's what the album artist field is for. I got used to First/Last from iTunes so I don't much care, as long as they're all the same...
What am I missing?

2. I keep getting bitrates of 114 to 125 or so no matter what I set up in the encoding options. I'm aiming for 192 VBR... but it's not giving me that result
thx

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: sorting and encoding
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 05:06:04 pm »

A couple of questions as I reacquaint myself with MC:

1. I imported a ton of albums from iTunes; some are displayed in MC as First Name, Last Name; some are Last Name, First Name.
I can't figure out why some are one way and others the other. I can force one way or the other with album artist, but I don't think that's what the album artist field is for. I got used to First/Last from iTunes so I don't much care, as long as they're all the same...
What am I missing?

Do you mean the Artist field only or something else?

MC reads the Artist tag and fills the library field with that info. If separate words are in a certain order in the file tag MC does not change that order.

In MC the "Album Artist" field is for this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33515.msg247570#msg247570

2. I keep getting bitrates of 114 to 125 or so no matter what I set up in the encoding options. I'm aiming for 192 VBR... but it's not giving me that result

You could try the MP3 VBR High setting. Its nominal bitrate is about 192 kbps. The actual resulting average bitrate can vary greatly. A quiet old mono track can be below 100 kbps. A modern, loud and compressed rock track can be 250 kbps. The VBR mode is designed to produce constant quality instead of constant bitrate.

Also, check the bitrate inside MC. Windows Explorer cannot display correct VBR bitrates.

EDIT

I forgot to mention that MC has separate encoding options for CD ripping, file conversions, sound recording, Library Server, Tivo Server, UPnP Server, data CD burning and portable player synch. You didn't mention what you tried to do. Perhaps you tried to adjust the settings in a wrong place.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
Re: sorting and encoding
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 09:24:01 pm »

Do you mean the Artist field only or something else?

MC reads the Artist tag and fills the library field with that info. If separate words are in a certain order in the file tag MC does not change that order.

In MC the "Album Artist" field is for this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33515.msg247570#msg247570

You could try the MP3 VBR High setting. Its nominal bitrate is about 192 kbps. The actual resulting average bitrate can vary greatly. A quiet old mono track can be below 100 kbps. A modern, loud and compressed rock track can be 250 kbps. The VBR mode is designed to produce constant quality instead of constant bitrate.

Also, check the bitrate inside MC. Windows Explorer cannot display correct VBR bitrates.

EDIT

I forgot to mention that MC has separate encoding options for CD ripping, file conversions, sound recording, Library Server, Tivo Server, UPnP Server, data CD burning and portable player synch. You didn't mention what you tried to do. Perhaps you tried to adjust the settings in a wrong place.

I checked again and it turns out all of the tracks that were being displayed (in the panes, in the tree) as Last name/First name were that way in the extended album artist tag. Still don't know why some are that way and some aren't, tho.
I guess a good use of that field would be to unify an artist with releases under different band names, such as Dave Alvin solo, Dave Alvin & the Guilty Men and Dave Alvin with the Pleasure Barons. I want them all to show up under Dave Alvin.

I haven't had a chance to recheck the bitrate settings but I'm sure I was working with the ripping dialog.
thx for the help
Pages: [1]   Go Up