INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dj's \ Savvy Video\Audio Users Needed!!!  (Read 3289 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Dj's \ Savvy Video\Audio Users Needed!!!
« on: October 15, 2006, 03:22:49 am »

hi, i am having  a huge halloween party(over 500 people) with projectors and Stereo, i'm wondering if someone could help me with a certain setup i'd like to achieve.

I have a laptop, going to use the laptop to control the music. i'm also going to have a custom movie that i made playing which will have audio. (but there will be times people will want to hear there favorite music or requests etc...)

my question is. how can i go about using laptop to push the video to the projector and the sound to play from the movie.BUT!!! if i want the movie to continue playing on the projector, and play my own playlists. is there a way to mute the audio in the video i made, And have the video continue playing, and play my music playlists? (within media center\or have 2 incedences of media center playing and mute the audio of the video of one of the media centers??) or am i STUCK having to make playlists(over 12,000 files\cover art etc.) in windows media player, so i can mute one players audio to use the other?? I hope not cause i been a media center user for a few years now, and can't remember the last time i wanted or even needed to use windows media player. Ideas on how to achieve this???

Also one more question please. I will be using laptop to run media center. and will be pushing video to projector as stated. is there away to see all of media center(playlists, toolbar, etc... on my laptop) BUT on the projector, the only thing people will see will be the Now Playing window(full Screen) the whole time? (maybe a extended desktop or something? how would i set that up?)

Appreciate any helps you guys\gals can give. i only have a couple weeks left to get this working. not to mention all the other work needed to get this party rolling...thank you.  8)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Dj's \ Savvy Video\Audio Users Needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 04:25:03 am »

You can have MC11.1's windowed display and the main program window open at the same time if you don't have "Minimize to system tray" selected in MC's options.

For playing video and audio content simultaneuosly you can use MC's Zones. You need to have an additional sound card for making two audio zones to work at the same time. (I suppose it is not a big deal to buy an USB soundcard if you don't already have one).

In MC11.1 the video soundtrack will always play through the default sound device (= the integrated sound device if you have not changed the configuration) so you need to configure the other Zone that plays audio tracks to use an external sound card. In MC12 you can select the used video sound output.

I would consider purchasing for example the following relatively inexpensive, but high quality devices for that kind of DJ setup:

Edirol UA-1EX, USB sound card
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=743&ParentId=104
http://www.amazon.com/Edirol-EDIUA1X-EDIROL-Audio-Interface/dp/B000BD1AF0/ref=sr_11_1/102-4156983-5119338?ie=UTF8

Behringer UB802, audio mixer
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UB802-Eurorack-Mixer-Inputs/dp/B0002JF5CM

EDIT

I hope your laptop can be configured to display a secondary screen individually. Otherwise you need to consider using some other PC that has this capability.

Just a few days ago I used MC & my laptop for displaying video clips in a conference room. The room had a pretty standard AV setup with an audio mixer, an amp & speakers, some video player devices and a projector, but no PC or Mac.

I hooked the LCD projector directly to my laptop's S-Video output and connected the audio mixer with RCA cables. I had MC's main UI and my notes (an excel sheet) open on laptop's screen. The S-Video output was configured to be a secondary display that played the videos in the detached & maximized display window.

EDIT 2

I am going to buy a small mixer device soon. I searched for more info and found that e.g. this model might be more suitable to use with PC sound cards and home hifi:
http://www.behringer.com/1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It has +4 dBu / -10 dBV switches for the stereo line inputs. A quote from the product manual:
+4/-10

The stereo inputs of the Xenyx 1002 and 1202 have an input sensitivity switch which selects between +4 dBu and -10 dBV. At -10 dBV (home-recording level), the input is more sensitive (requires less level to drive it) than at +4 dBu (studio level).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 09:06:13 am »

hello alex. thanks for the FAST reply. after posting this last night i decided to see how version 12 was coming. and well me always needing new toys, i upgraded.LOL (AND LOVE IT it's a GODSEND!!)

so since i'm on a time line here, with my original questions the same, are your answers the same? or is there a work around in version 12?  and yes alex my laptop is a new vaio and i can switch displays. also i connect to my server via my laptop. going to look into those soundcards after hearing back from you. if i must still go that route??!!

Thanks alot.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 09:24:13 am »

so since i'm on a time line here, with my original questions the same, are your answers the same? or is there a work around in version 12?  and yes alex my laptop is a new vaio and i can switch displays. also i connect to my server via my laptop. going to look into those soundcards after hearing back from you. if i must still go that route??!!

MC12 is not much different. In MC12 you can configure the video sound output device. Also the detached display is a bit different.

If you have only one sound card you would need to find a workaround for disabling the video sound. Perhaps you could use ffdshow and its adjustments for that. Another possiblity would be to make an additional video file that simply does not have the audio soundtrack.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 09:40:19 am »

you know to bad its not possible to have 2 incedences or media center running, then i could just mute the audio for the video then maximize other media center hit play playlist. and switch back to fullscreen video with the audio coming out of amp.. whats this ffd show? i've never heard of it? seperate app?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 09:57:52 am »

you know to bad its not possible to have 2 incedences or media center running, then i could just mute the audio for the video then maximize other media center hit play playlist. and switch back to fullscreen video with the audio coming out of amp..

As I said earlier, you could try using separate zones. (Player > Playback Options > Zone Manager...)

whats this ffd show? i've never heard of it? seperate app?

ffdshow is DirectShow and VFW codec for decoding/encoding many video and audio formats, including DivX and XviD movies using libavcodec, xvid and other opensourced libraries with a rich set of postprocessing filters.

I think glynor has explained ffdshow excellently a few times. (It is a long story and I doubt I could explain it better.)

Try the forum search.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffdshow

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 06:32:03 pm »

over 500 people

I Don't even know 50 people
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 02:07:58 pm »

I think you can do it with MC12 and your laptop and multiple zones and you won't need anything else more fancy.  I run similar setups regularly and it works great with the new Detached display setup in MC12.  Takes a little fancy finger-work on the MC UI, but practice makes perfect.

Do this:

1. Set up your laptop with the Projector.  Once you're all set up and booted up into Windows, you'll want to enable "Extended Desktop" mode (rather than Clone mode).  To do this:

a) Right click on the desktop and choose Properties.  Switch to the Settings tab.
b) Click the Identify button to figure out which display is which.  If the laptop's screen is NOT #1, then select the #1 icon in the big empty area, make sure Use this device as the primary monitor is checked (it really should already be #1 but just in case).
c) Click on #2 in the empty area in the dialog, and check "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
d) If you want, you can arrange the monitor and projector into a different orientation.  For example, if you drag-drop #2 above #1, then moving your mouse up past the top of the laptop's screen will move the mouse onto the bottom of the Projector's screen.

2. In MC12, go to Player --> Playback Options --> Zone Manager.  Create a new zone, but leave the settings alone.  Close the Zone Manager.

3. Position MC12's interface on the laptop's screen.  Make sure Zone 1 is chosen.  Change the zone's Volume type to Internal.  (This is so you can control the volume of the Audio separately from the Video running in Zone 2).  Start some music playing and pull up your visualizer (G-Force works good).

4. Right click on the display and choose Detach Display.  Move this to the projector's screen and double click (to send it full screen).  It should happily play G-Force (or whatever) nice and full screen on the projector for you.

5. Switch to Zone 2.

6. Change Zone 2's Volume Type to Internal as well.  Start a video playing.  Switch to Playing Now (if it didn't do it for you).

7. Right click in the Playing Now display area and choose Display settings.  Make sure the Full Screen monitor setting is Nearest Monitor.  Close that dialog and right-click and choose Detach Display.  Move this display over to the Projectors screen and double click it to send it full screen.

8. Now, when you don't want the projector to show the movie full screen anymore, don't double click or hit escape to "un-maximize" it -- instead simply click in the Playing Now area (or the Display Action Window) where it says "Display is detached. Click here to bring it back."  That way, next time you start a video and detach the display, it will remember that it was both full screen and on the Projector and just go there automatically (and "cover up" the playing Audio visualization).  The goal is to get this all set up ahead of time, and then once you start the "show", don't ever move your mouse over onto the Projector's part of the screen.  Stay within the confines of the MC UI on your laptop's screen and all should be good.

If you want the music to just keep playing through the video (this is what I usually want when I set up similar shows), you don't have to do anything -- just run it.  If you want the audio to mute on the music, you'll need to manually switch to Zone 1 and volume down before you start the video.

You can manage the playing now list and pick and choose your video files through the regular MC12 UI on your laptop's screen all "behind the scenes" and no one will see what you're up to.

The only downside to this method at all is that your video will start playing before you detach it.  As soon as you detach it, it will show up on the projector, but you have to be ready.  I solve this by simply adding a few second black/silent header to the video files I'm going to use for this purpose.  If you can't do this, just be quick.  You can also start the video, pause it immediately, then switch to Zone 1 (the Music Zone) volume down, switch back to Zone 2, detach the display (which will send it full screen to the Projector), then un-Pause.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 05:13:09 am »

6. Change Zone 2's Volume Type to Internal as well.  Start a video playing.  Switch to Playing Now (if it didn't do it for you).

Can you make the internal volume work with video files?

you know to bad its not possible to have 2 incedences or media center running, then i could just mute the audio for the video then maximize other media center hit play playlist. and switch back to fullscreen video with the audio coming out of amp.. whats this ffd show? i've never heard of it? seperate app?

I just realized that this is easily possible (and tried, it worked fine)

- MC11.1 plays audio (or video)
- MC12 plays video (or audio)
- ffdshow is the audio volume controller for video

Click to enlarge.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 07:03:09 am »

SORRY BEEN BUSY. LET ME GET BACK TO YOU GLYNOR LATER TODAY. ALEX SO I WOULD HAVE TO INSTALL VERSION 11 BACK ON MY COMPUTERS IN ORDER TO ACCOMPLISH THIS? LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE 2 VERSION OPEN THERE?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 07:22:02 am »

Yes. I mean MC11.1 & MC12. Wasn't that clear? It is an option that you can consider.

But why "have to"? I would rather see it as an opportunity.

You have an important task to accomplish and you should use any means necessary to get what you want.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 07:40:08 am »

i didnt mean have to as a negative. was ment to be a question.. suppose it would of been more clear if i hadnt cap locked accidently sorry about that, been up and running like crazy.lol. gettin zzzz's here soon, but def. going to try it, thank god i have backups of everything on my externals. i deleted all version 11 stuff a couple days ago after upgrading. now when i reinstall version 11. is it going to ask about version 12? or will it install with no probs? also how did you get both of them to run? just clicked on them and they both opened? or is it a zone thing?

Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 08:14:07 am »

Installing MC11.1 after MC12 should be fine. Select the custom install mode and don't let it uninstall anything. After that you can reinstall MC12 on top of itself to make sure that the MC11.1 installer didn't change anything that is possibly fixed in MC12.

Keep in mind that the MC12 library cannot be used with MC11.1. Use a backup of MC11.1 library or reimport the needed files.

You can run both versions simultaneously just by starting them, but don't let the programs change any file tags when they are both running. You can disable Auto-Import in MC12 and tag writing in both programs.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 09:42:55 am »

Can you make the internal volume work with video files?

It works fine on my install of MC12 here and on my laptop (both have onboard audio -- probably RealTek).  I don't know that I've tried with my systems at home.

Now it doesn't for some reason (I swear it did yesterday when I tried it).  Ahhh well...

That's really irrelevant to my method, since the internal volume DOES work for audio files, and this choice is per-zone.  So you can leave your Video Zone set to System Volume, switch the Audio Zone to Internal.  Then you can control the Audio separately (to bring it down) and keep the Video volume turned up.

As I said, that's typically not a problem for me, as I usually want to have the Audio keep going "seamlessly".  If I didn't, and I had access to the equipment, I'd probably use a desktop machine and use two discreet sound cards and a mixer.  As long as all you want to do is bring down the audio in order to play a video, you should have no problem with my stated method though...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 04:54:32 pm »

alex. thank you! it works AWESOME!!!and so easy to use, just change the skins on both centers so i know which is which.. and then when playing video when i want to mute the audio, i just click on ffdshow in taskbar, right click and click on volume and it mutes it and then version 11 takes over. I had  aHUGE scare, rebooted computer cause i got a version 11 error. and when restarting it said missing operating system. had to power it down. never had that happen to me before. i know i'm clean. going to keep testing it to see if it will stay stable. thank god for norton ghost if something does happen. appreciate yours and glynors help. you guys 2 have saved me hours

modelmaker

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 10:58:44 pm »

I've had both 11 & 12 running for a couple of months now with no operational issues or conflicts. I've had the audio of both on simultaneously many times (in my case unintentionally), and except for the cacophony everything has been stable.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 11:01:40 pm »

hello modelmaker, yea it rocks it is going to help me out alot. may i ask? have you been here for awhile? is there anyway i can chat with you live? via yahoo or msn? i have some questions interests. i wont keep you long. if so my yahoo id is xtacbyme and i also have msn, and use paltalk and skype. thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up