INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upnp Conversions?  (Read 993 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Upnp Conversions?
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:03:19 am »

I recently saw the addition of MPC in the encoder list for the UPnP server.  My first question is why I don't see other encoders like WMA or even WAV?  The MP101, for example, says it supports WMA and if it supported lossless WMA, that would be the best.  The goal is to get it playing lossless if possible.  I understand it probably won't play lossless WMA anyway, but what about WAV?  The latest version of their server software does support WAV and I tried it once long ago when I was still using the software but didn't like it because it couldn't use tags at all--but since MC is converting, you'd think it could somehow send the tags separately from the WAV audio.

So why aren't encoders I know I have installed in the list?  Encoding on the fly to lossless from lossless seems pointless but it's the only way since the MP101 definitely does not support FLAC.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Upnp Conversions?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 03:21:28 pm »

Some encoders require seeking back to the beginning to fill out information that is not known until the whole file is converted, these cannot be used as streaming encoders.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up