INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've passed 10K songs! then what? Also, cover art ideas  (Read 2673 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
I've passed 10K songs! then what? Also, cover art ideas
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:50:11 pm »

YAY.  I recently passed 10,000 songs!  All ~10,500 songs are encoded directly from CDs I own to FLAC.  The entire storage usage is 266GB.

I got thinking.  Hmm, it took a lot of money to buy so many CDs--over 800!  So, say I wanted to double that and get to 20K songs which would be incredible.  Just think how much more money that would cost!  Also, don't forget that it may be tough to find another CD for every one I own now!  Besides, that pales in comparison to those with 100K songs.  Still, it is quite impressive to have surpassed my old junkie mp3 collection which ended at around 8,000 songs; at which point I backed it up to about 6 DVDs and pretty much scrapped the entire thing.  I am slowly working through the entire database and checking to make sure I either have every song I want or have it on a list of CDs to buy.  That way, I am sure I haven't missed any great songs that I accumulated over my years of collecting.  It's amazing how I went through the list and quickly found a list of 50 CDs...one song could mean an entire CD purchase.

This thread truly has little purpose other than to discuss the importance of the number.  What number impresses people?  I've seen great amazement from many at 8K songs.  Does 10K impress people that much more?  How can this even compare to ten times that, 100K?  What about 100K to 150K?  Does it even matter when you get that large?  Hey you, with the 300K song collection!  It's truly hard to imagine.  I should point out that every piece of cover art for my 800+ CDs has been scanned in by hand.

Question: are there any other ways you could add to MC to display cover art?  What about a unique, new view never used before.  Let's start brainstorming if possible.  What about a view that actually added a real CD look?  It could add the jewel case border with left solid area, etc?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: I've passed 10K songs! then what? Also, cover art ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 02:07:47 am »

This thread truly has little purpose other than to discuss the importance of the number.

numbers don't carry that much importance for me. they can be a mildly interesting statistic, but that is all really.
I wouldn't think any less of you if you only had 1050 files and they were all 96 kbps mp3s
If that was your choice, and you were happy, I'd be happy for you too.
My media library is for pleasure, not a "how many files have you got" contest :)

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:25:09 am »

benn, I think Marko's just jealous.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:01:21 am »

While some may think this thread is just so I can gloat.  It really isn't.  As I said, others have thirty times what I have.

I recall the funny thread where someone was asking how many songs MC can handle and someone else responded saying that it handles up to 4,999 files fine but after 5K, it uninstalls and you have to buy a 5K song license...I loved that thread.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 11:15:33 am »

I think KingSparta's collection was in the 200-300k range at one point.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 11:30:49 am »

I think KingSparta's collection was in the 200-300k range at one point.

I Broke Them Down Into Smaller Libraries, My Largest One Is

28335 Images (Old Radio Images, Old Radio Stars etc...)
61 Videos (Dick Tracy, Betty Boop Movies, Etc...)
222,143 Mp3's (Old Time Radio Shows, Superman, The Shadow, Etc...)

Even With:

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3010 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 324 MB
FireWire 800

MC12 Does Get A Bit Sluggish

Sometimes I Import Only Some Files In My "New Files" Library And Work On The Tags
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 11:48:24 am »

300k must be somewhat interesting.
My collections around 3k-4k and MC works that out at about 10 days worth of music.
so 300k must be around 1000 days worth of audio...
or 2.7 Years...

And I bet you still get bored of listening to the same things over and over again!
 :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 11:57:52 am »

Actually The Mp3's Are 8.09 Years, 913.4 Gigs

But Most Of Them Are Encoded At 32Kbit Since They Are Mostly Old AM Radio Quality.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 12:09:26 pm »

benn, I think Marko's just jealous.
insanely so. it's ridiculous.
I went to one of those "download free mp3z" sites you see on google and tried downloading everything they had listed in an attempt to catch up but nothing worked...
my computer's acting a bit wierd since too, I keep getting lots of strange error messages and stuff, and I have like, 15 different toolbars in my internet, which is so slow now too...

Seriously, I know it's not bragging rights, or gloating. I have a little over 21,000 files in my library, and ~13,500 of those are audio. I know, as Benn does too, that in the MC world, these are not 'large' libraries.
Apologies for being boring!! :)
It's just numbers, and for me personally, the number is not that important, except of course, number 42....

Perhaps we should focus on the "What next?" part rather than the numbers?
I'd say have a break and enjoy the results of your rip-a-thon for a bit. Then begin to think about aquiring extended information to complement your library. Things like album reviews, artist biographies, lyrics etc.. I've not installed it yet, but I think King's datamaster plugin could help in a big way in that department. Think too about things like ratings and if you want to get into rating your songs. Think about some choice smartlists to use for random play that will let you hear stuff from one end of your library to the other, else you may find you end up listening to the same small sub-section of files more often than anything else.

My audio is only 40 days worth. Let's hope I get record tokens for Christmas, else I'm gonna be fooked!!!

-marko.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 12:29:44 pm »

I think King's datamaster plugin could help in a big way in that department.

There is Alot of data on there now, but it can use more.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 02:36:46 pm »

YAY.  I recently passed 10,000 songs! 

..so many CDs--over 800! 
In those numbers, what % of albums would you say were picks, (8.5/10 and above..fairly tight defintion of good) ?
..that you like rather than how many they sold or what the rags consider essential.

Easier to increase the number of albums, harder to maintain/increase the picks ratio.

rjm

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 08:31:07 pm »

What impresses me is the accuracy, completeness, and consistency of tagging and file naming.

Over the years I have obtained overy 70K files that were ripped by other people and I can say without exageration that not one of the files was properly tagged.

Of course "properly" is a matter of personal taste, but even for the non-debatable basics like artist/album/name over 90% were screwed up.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 09:33:28 pm »

What impresses me is the accuracy, completeness, and consistency of tagging and file naming.

Over the years I have obtained overy 70K files that were ripped by other people and I can say without exageration that not one of the files was properly tagged.

Of course "properly" is a matter of personal taste, but even for the non-debatable basics like artist/album/name over 90% were screwed up.

agreed.  it's actually one of the reasons downloading (sorry!) has become much less desirable to me as i've grown up.
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

rjm

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 12:26:23 am »

agreed.  it's actually one of the reasons downloading (sorry!) has become much less desirable to me as i've grown up.  it's actually one of the reasons downloading (sorry!) has become much less desirable to me as i've grown up.

Also agree.

tenacious:Ðåv£™

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 05:43:35 am »

I think a more interesting figure than total number of files would be total (or even average) listen time... though i've never figured it out  myself (scares me a bit in a way) i'm aware that i am, on average listening to my music probably for more hours a day than i'm not listening to it.  Anyone can horde a massive collection, but i wonder how many people know exactly how many days/months/years worth of listening to their music they have done.
tenacious:Ðåv£™

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 06:12:12 am »

no.of plays x file duration = time spent listening :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 06:22:11 am »

Locking this now.  "Downloading" is not a JRiver Value.

Mom
Pages: [1]   Go Up