INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rating tag bug  (Read 1142 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Rating tag bug
« on: November 15, 2006, 06:07:55 pm »

MC114

Rating is not saved to MP3 tags. And rating field in library is not updated when MP3 tag changes. Rating behaves correctly for JPGs. Have not tested other formats.

I confirmed Rating field option to save to tag where possible is set.

Also confimed MC11 behaves as expected.

rjm

Re: Rating tag bug
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 06:36:50 pm »

Have not done enough testing to be sure, but same problem may exist for Comment field.

rjm

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 06:50:36 pm »

I am in no rush, however I am surprised this was not addressed or commented on in 115.

If my tests are correct, this is a very serious problem in the bedrock functionality of MC (database and tagging). And may point to more widespread database problems.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 07:40:50 pm »

Rating was mapped with the ID3v2 POPM tag some time ago. This makes it compatible with WMP and some other programs. MC12 can import the old proprietary comment frame format, but it writes a POPM frame on tag change.

Edit

At least it works for me. Though, I noticed that the format info shows "<unknown data type>" for the POPM tag. This is a minor bug, but it may cause confusion.

I can't find anything wrong with the Comment tag. Some other taggers may destroy MC's multi-line proprietary comments (COMM tags). Did you experience this or something else?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rjm

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 08:19:41 pm »

Thanks, I missed this mapping change.

I need to digest implications and do some more testing.

I am wondering what happens if I rebuild a library from scratch by a fresh import and the files contain a mix of Rating tags written by MC11 and MC12?

I sure hope it does not mean every one of my MC11 created MP3s gets written to.

Are there other ID3v2 mapping changes in MC12? Can you point me to a list? This is a very dangerous thing to be playing with, in my opinion, especially for those of us with large libraries.

With regard to the problem I may have observed with the Comment field. I saw a comment in an MP3 via MC12 that I know does not exist when viewed with MC11. I assume there may have been another mapping change in MC12.
Pages: [1]   Go Up