INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible Cover Art  (Read 4020 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audible Cover Art
« on: November 15, 2006, 09:08:28 pm »

1. Fixed: Audible files wouldn't load images.
On further investigation, it appears that some of the Audible files I downloaded via MC12 need to be RE-downloaded in order to get art for these files to display in MC.  The Audible files I downloaded BEFORE updating to MC12 show the art with build 114 -- I just need to erase and re-build thumbnails.  Also, files I downloaded since installing build 114 show art.  Files that were downloaded with earlier verisons of MC12, however, need to be RE-downloaded with verison 114 in order to show art.

In other words, I'm simply re-downloading the same files from Audible.  The ones that were downloaded over the last few weeks do NOT show any art (even after the erase/rebuild thumbnail process) while when I download the SAME files now (with build 114) I DO see the art.

Is it possible that there is still a bug with Audible file art display in MC such that I won't have to re-download all my aa files from the last several weeks in order to see the art?

UPDATE:  I took a look at the two files, and they're exactly the same size, so it would appear that the files are the same, but that MC simply can't see the art unless I re-download the SAME file from Audible.  Is there any way to get this to work without doing this?

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Audible Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 09:09:13 pm »

Larry, before I erase my thumbnails, I just want to check that this is going to work. When you look at the tag info for audible files, is there anything in the "Image" field? For me there is nothing, so I'm wondering if I might have deleted the art somehow.

There are a few parts to the answer.  First, I'm not sure you CAN delete art from Audible files.  I know that unlike mp3 files, MC does NOT re-write Audible files when changing tags, so it would seem to follow that MC wouldn't be able to erase art from Audible files.  This means that if the file has art in it, you "should" see it after you erase/rebuild the thumbnails.

That said, it appears that there is another issue here.  I have some Audible files that continue to say "Inside file" for the art even though no art actually shows up.  I don't know if this is a bug in MC, or a bug with the actual file.

On top of this, I've also found that some of the files that I've downloaded recently (BEFORE build 114) don't "currently" show art even after the thumbnail "rebuild."  I tried downloading some of these files again from Audible, however, and these new downloads DO show art.  In other words, the file I downloaded with a version of MC12 prior to build 114 does not show the art, but when I download the SAME file with build 114, I DO see the art.  I can't say if the file has been changed in the interim, but I don't know how likely this is.  It's possible that MC12 still has some sort of bug with displaying art in Audible files, and that if this bug was fixed, I would not have to re-download the files from Audible in order to see the art.  At this point, however, I obvioulsy can't say for sure what's happening under the hood.

To address your question directly, I've seen different things for different files.  Some of my Audible files said "no image(s)," some said "inside file."  Now that I've installed 114 and rebuilt the thumbnails, I STILL see some saying "no image(s)" and some saying "inside file," but I ALSO see art for many of the files.

My advice would be to go ahead and erase and rebuild the thumbnails since there is no downside to this (other than it taking a little while to finish.)  This process does NOT effect the actual files -- it simply rebuilds MC's thumbnail database.

I wish there were an option to "rebuild thumbnails for selected files"

I've requested this before as well.  It's frustrating to have to erase and rebuild the ENTIRE thumbnail database just to get ONE file to show the art, but this is exactly what you have to do in certain situations.

Larry

marko

• MC Beta Team
Audible Cover Art
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 03:12:01 am »

"I wish there were an option to "rebuild thumbnails for selected files"
I often find that an "update library from tags" rebuilds individual thumbs....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audible Cover Art
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 08:39:19 am »

Marko gave good advice.

Update Library From Tags will get the art from the tag and flag the thumbnail to be rebuilt.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:35:43 am »

doing an update from tags isnt working for me.
I'm still not ready to destroy all my thumbnails. It's just about taken me all week to get them all drawn again.
It could be because i re-downloaded all my audible books since installing MC12beta. I might have downloaded at a time, like lalittle suggests, when MC was deleting or else not getting the album art.

If i dont see anything in the next few builds, I'll try redownloading the audiobooks again and see if that helps.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 04:54:43 pm »

I'm still not ready to destroy all my thumbnails. It's just about taken me all week to get them all drawn again.

I'm not sure I understand.  How many files do you have?  I have about 8000 at the moment and it takes about a half hour on a dual P3 1Gig (not a fast system by todays standards) to rebuild all the thumbnails.  What is it that is taking a week for you?

Just to clarify, when you "erase" and rebuild thumbnails, you're NOT actually erasing any "art."  The art is still there -- MC just has to recreate the thumbnails FROM the art.

Larry

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 08:28:27 pm »

I have just found one file where the image files was listed as "Inside file". I tried an "update from tags" on it but it didnt work. I can see the image in the image tag window, but no thumbnail at all.

Almost all the rest of my audible files have blank image file fields so i guess i'll just have to re-download them.

---
Re: thumbnailing:
I have about 21,000 files, many of them movie files, and though things have got much better since using the combined community codec pack, MC is still sometimes freezing up, or crashing with runtime errors while thumbnailing.

Also, I am unsure about whether a rebuild of thumbnails on this machine would mean that thumbnails would need to be rebuilt on a client machine too. That has literally taken me about three days even using the "build thumbnails" tool and I dont want to start that all over again.

---

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 08:58:00 pm »

I have just found one file where the image files was listed as "Inside file". I tried an "update from tags" on it but it didnt work. I can see the image in the image tag window, but no thumbnail at all.

Almost all the rest of my audible files have blank image file fields so i guess i'll just have to re-download them.

Keep in mind that many Audible files don't have cover art, and others don't show it in MC even though MC says the art is "inside file."  In other words, just because the Audible files don't have art, it doesn't necessarily mean that re-downloading them will result in art appearing.  I can't see any pattern to why some files get art after re-downloading.

I am unsure about whether a rebuild of thumbnails on this machine would mean that thumbnails would need to be rebuilt on a client machine too. That has literally taken me about three days even using the "build thumbnails" tool and I dont want to start that all over again.

I can tell you that the client creates it's own thumbnails, so erasing thumbnails on one system does not effect the other -- both systems build their own thumbnails independent of the other.

Larry

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 01:30:11 am »

Thanks lalittle,

I have just downloaded a new audiobook, and checked, and it says "inside file" for the image file, but, like you are seeing, there is no thumbnail. Clicking on the thumbnail in the tag window launches the image action window, where the album art does infact show though.

So this must be a bug eh.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 02:06:20 am »

Thanks lalittle,

I have just downloaded a new audiobook, and checked, and it says "inside file" for the image file, but, like you are seeing, there is no thumbnail. Clicking on the thumbnail in the tag window launches the image action window, where the album art does infact show though.

So this must be a bug eh.

Actually, you seem to have found a situation that is slightly different from mine.  I have some Audible files that list the image as "Inside File," but unlike you, when I launch the image action window, it STILL says "Inside File" and does NOT show the art.  It looks like "some" aspects of Audible file art have been fixed (NONE of the Audible art was showing up a few builds ago) but as you said, there appears to still be some bugs with it.

Thanks for posting your details,

Larry

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 11:03:43 pm »

Hi Larry,

So, is cover art showing for most of your audiobooks now? I've done an erase and rebuild thumbnails but no change. I'm thinking of deleting and redownloading all of my books.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 11:12:48 pm »

Hi Larry,

So, is cover art showing for most of your audiobooks now? I've done an erase and rebuild thumbnails but no change. I'm thinking of deleting and redownloading all of my books.

I'm actually not sure whether to say "most" at this point or not.  I still have some aa files that I'm basically certain "used" to have art, but that do not now, and I have other ones that show art in the "image box," but NOT in the "small thumbnail" column.  I also still have some files that say "inside file" for the art, but that display NO art.  In other words, there are clearly still "some" issues with art for audible files.

All I can really say for now is that "many" of my books now have art, whereas a few builds ago I wasn't getting any art for ANY of them.

I hope this helps,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 06:44:23 pm »

I just downloaded a new Audible file, and it showed the cover art in the AW "image" window, but it would NOT show any thumbnail for the book.  I copied and pasted the cover art to the image folder, and it now showed up in the AW "image" window (and it was higher res then the previous art) AND the thumbnail was automatically build and appeared in the track window.  When I left and returned to this file, the AW "image" window went BACK to displaying the lower res art, while the thumbnail continued to show the higher res art.

There are clearly still some bugs with Audible art in MC12.

Thanks to anyone for looking into this,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up