INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display view / G force / Mouse pointer  (Read 2529 times)

RiderFan

Display view / G force / Mouse pointer
« on: November 26, 2006, 04:49:18 pm »

When I switch to display view, using G-force, the mouse pointer will stay on the screen forever unless I jiggle the mouse, then the mouse pointer will dissapear.

With other visualizations, the mouse pointer will dissapear on it's own. This is only affected by G-force.

Is this a fix that you can do, or is it something that G-force has to fix?

By the way, both of my PC's do this.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Display view / G force / Mouse pointer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:06:06 am »

This does not happen on any of my machines (4 different PCs all with G-Force and MC12).  The mouse pointer takes longer to hide than the rest of Display View's interface -- it doesn't disappear at the same time as the playhead and buttons and "frame" -- but it does disappear.

This applies to G-Force and video playback on my machines.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 12:04:40 pm »

This does not happen on any of my machines (4 different PCs all with G-Force and MC12).  The mouse pointer takes longer to hide than the rest of Display View's interface -- it doesn't disappear at the same time as the playhead and buttons and "frame" -- but it does disappear.

This applies to G-Force and video playback on my machines.
It doesn't happen on my 1 machine. Glynor, where do you need 4 computers for?
A day without laughing is a day without living

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 12:31:20 pm »

Hmmmm... Actually, I have more than 4 computers.  I only have 5 (I actually miscounted before) that have MC installed.

I have (currently):

1. my Main machine at home (Windows XP)
2. my HTPC at home (Windows XP)
3. my "windows" work machine at the office (Windows XP)
4. our "shared" work machine (Windows XP) -- this is used by everyone in the office for certain tasks where you need a windows box (we're mostly a mac shop)
5. my work laptop (Windows XP) - we loan this out to others for PowerPoint presentations and stuff but I can use it too and I do for MC regularly.

Then, I also have:

6. my main Work machine (MacOSX 10.4)
7. my development webserver at work (MacOSX 10.3)
8. 2 Mac laptops (one Powerbook G4 and one MacBook Pro) -- shared like the above mentioned PC laptop
9. my linux box (Kubuntu) at home (currently in pieces from a move but hopefully soon will be back in action)
10. my IPCop firewall box at home
11. my video recording workstation in our Auditorium at work (MacOSX 10.4)
12. my live streaming box in our Auditorium at work (MacOSX 10.4)
13. my Mac at home (MacOSX 10.4)

We actually also have 1 more windows laptop (Windows 2000) and 1 more OSX laptop (an old G3 iBook) but I hardly ever touch them other than to fix problems.

I also recently decided to replace the "office" main PC at home with a different machine (I'll build a new one out of some parts I have).  That box is way more powerful than it needs to be for what my wife uses it for daily (Internet, Word, money management, school stuff, etc).  So, I'm going to replace the "office" machine with a new (but less powerful box) and move my "main" PC downstairs into my workshop.  That's where I do the majority of my computer work and gaming anyway (well, I do a lot of gaming on the HTPC too).  Too often I can't get to it because my wife needs to do schoolwork though!

Plus, our electric bill is getting a bit high, and that machine is sitting idle (or running Firefox and MS Word) with an ATI X1900XT sucking down power like it's going out of style!  Moving that machine downstairs (where I'll not boot it up unless I'm going to use it) should save us some electricity too!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:42:39 pm »

glynor,
Get help while they're still time.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 12:47:18 pm »

I know.  They should have a group, like they do for everything else.

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 07:11:57 pm »

This happens on three of my PC's too...

RiderFan

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 09:19:54 pm »

OK, let me be a little more specific.

If I use my mouse and click on view, then click on display view, my mouse pointer will dissapear. Probabbly because I am moving my mouse to accomplish the task.

If I leave my mouse pointer in the middle of the screen, and press Ctrl + 3, then the mouse won't dissapear.

Please try this on your system and see if you have similar results. Try it with gforce.

Thanx.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 02:03:09 am »

using gforce, after hitting ctrl+3, my mouse won't hide until I've moved it.

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 03:04:53 am »

It seems as through there is consensus...   This is only really a pain for those 'pure' HTPC users who do not use a keyboard, just a remote.  I wonder what percentage of users have a dedicated HTPC like this?  Maybe time for a poll?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:26:12 am »

I confirmed this issue on my work machine, which happens to have an nVidia GPU, when using only F11 or Control+3 to enter display view (and not the mouse).  I have not noticed the issue before and I suspect I would have (my HTPC has the F11 key assigned to the remote), so it may be specific to relatively recent builds, or it may be specific to hardware (my other machines where I use MC all have ATI GPUs).

It seems as through there is consensus...   This is only really a pain for those 'pure' HTPC users who do not use a keyboard, just a remote.  I wonder what percentage of users have a dedicated HTPC like this?  Maybe time for a poll?

I have a HTPC, and I use primarily a remote (Snapstream Firefly via Girder) and a wireless mouse.  However, I do have a wireless keyboard for the system as well.  It just generally lives in a drawer until I need it.

RiderFan

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 09:22:43 am »

I have a dedicated HTPC as well. I have a firefly mini that I have swapped out for a Harmony 880. This is probably why I noticed it as I have F11 mapped to my remote, so it happens to me every time. I also have a wireless keyboard, so I have to jiggle the mouse roller to get the mouse arrow to dissapear.

Tonight, I will map a mouse left click to my Harmony, so that it will be easier to remove the mouse pointer.

If someone at JRiver reads this, can you put it on the list of things to fix in a later release as it is driving me crazy!!

RiderFan

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 10:36:16 pm »

Bump

Anyone from JRiver looked into this? It seems this happens to a few of us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up