INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What causes frequent buffering with MJ server?  (Read 994 times)

rickscogland

What causes frequent buffering with MJ server?
« on: September 05, 2002, 08:34:28 am »

My main installation (server) is at home with a fast broadband internet connection and no other used computers on that network.  When I log on to that MJ installation when I am at work, I get frequent buffering ... a song will be playing fine, when it goes silent, and the word buffering appears and goes from 0% to 100% before playing again.  My work connection is by fast DSL service, but with 1-4 simultanious users.  I am the only person with the password to access my MJ server.  What causes the frequent buffering ... other users on our work DSL network?  Inadequate RAM?  Other?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:What causes frequent buffering with MJ server?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2002, 08:38:45 am »

The bottleneck could be on either side.  Nominal speeds are sometimes not true speeds.  Traffic on your own network.  

What bitrate are the files you're trying to play?

Congratulations, by the way, on getting it going with your router.  You get a Networking merit badge for that.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

rickscogland

RE:What causes frequent buffering with MJ server?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2002, 09:19:29 am »

Thanks for the help, and for the VNMB (virtual network merit badge).  The bitrate for every song on my database is either 128, 160, or 192 (the great majority being 128).  At home, it is possible that my wife is using the computer, but that would be the only user on that network.  Today at work, the buffering is occuring weather or not I am using my computer for anything besides MJ server.  In addition to me, there are only 1-2 other users on the network TODAY at any given time.  Ooops ... I was about to type another number, but upon checking, I see that we are only paying for 192/192 Kbps service on the work network.  I don't know what I'm talking about, but should I convert all of my 160 and 192 files to 128 to reduce buffering?
Pages: [1]   Go Up