INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are MC12 license owner part of "MC12 Beta Team"?  (Read 1202 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Are MC12 license owner part of "MC12 Beta Team"?
« on: December 14, 2006, 01:13:09 pm »

Hi,

I purchased MC12 license last week when I first tried it. Does this mean that I am part of "MC12 Beta Team"? Will it allow me to download the beta builds not released to everyone?

thanks,
Osho

gappie

Re: Are MC12 license owner part of "MC12 Beta Team"?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 01:43:38 pm »

nope. beta team people are the ones with the 'MC 12 Beta Team' text above there avatars.  :-\

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Are MC12 license owner part of "MC12 Beta Team"?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:03:48 pm »

As it is now, no.  The beta team was determined months and months ago, before any builds of MC12 were publicly available.

However, this does not mean you will not receive updates to your version of MC12.  They will still be releasing builds of MC12 to everyone (JimH indicated likely weekly) after they have been initially tested by the handful of us on the official "beta team".  I'm not sure, but I'd guess the reason they are trying this is to give them more flexibility to try new things with MC12 without having to worry about people screaming to the effect of:

"OMG! It broke my files and deleted my library and OMG I paid for this and it's crap!"

Its somewhat like Mozilla's model of having a trunk and a branch.  The trunk is really bleeding edge stuff.  No guarantees are made that it won't format your C drive, burn your breakfast, and kill your dog.  The branch is a little calmer (but still actively developing), and might still do all those things, but probably won't.

The problem was that MC12 is quite a bit nicer than 11.1, and so a lot of people really wanted "in".  This was allowed, but it somewhat unintentionally "tied their hands".  People have an expectation that if they paid for something, that it should work reasonably well (and not delete files, force them to rebuild their libraries, or disable significant functions of the program).  Some of us, however, have demonstrated over time that we have the time and inclination to assist with these "dangerous" builds, and so they will be releasing the "semi-daily" completely untested builds to us.  After we have determined that they don't actually kill your computer (or dog) then they'll move those threads over to the "regular" MC12 forum.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up