INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I guess its goodbye  (Read 2614 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
I guess its goodbye
« on: December 24, 2006, 01:36:07 pm »

At least for a couple of months   :-X

I've made the switch to Linux and today is the big day; I've migrated the third and last pc in the home to Linux. There is no more (and I mean NONE, ZERO, ZIPP) Windows in this home  ;)

I've tried getting MJ12 to work acceptably using Wine, but Amarok is really better than the frustrations Wine brings along. Not as feature rich and I need to get used to the new interface but its oke I guess.

I'm wondering, has there ever been any thought - no matter how insignificant - of porting MJ to Linux?  :-*

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: I guess its goodbye
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 01:55:14 pm »

Publication: PC Magazine Date: Nov 07 2006
Reporter: John C. Dvorak

In a surprise announcement, Microsoft's Steve Ballmer seems to be doing a deal with Novell and the SUSE Linux folks. Apparently, the goal is to make Linux interoperable with Windows and perhaps move some apps onto the Linux platform. What could be brewing? Does it make any sense that Microsoft is going to embrace Linux in a big way? After all, Ballmer used to demean it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2052310,00.asp
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 02:11:05 pm »

Yeah I read that a while back. It's very interesting and I'm sure I am not the only one to have noticed a [positive?] change in M$ attitude towards Linux and opensource the past year.

The details on that deal are unclear though and as we all know, talks are often easier than the works  ::) I am looking forward to it though.

lOth

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 04:10:02 pm »

well, if there's something you can enjoy with Amarok that MC doesn't have, it's the tight integration of last.fm and in particular the auto DJ feature that fill up your playlist by crossing last.fm recommendations with what you have in your library.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 08:02:03 pm »

Yes, I am amazed with the amount of features in amarok and even more amazed with the number of plugins available for it all over the web.

Integration of Web Media in MC12 (particularly with TheaterView) is lagging behind than where we would like it to be. Also, I think if MC12 has some social networking feature it would be great. For example, if all MC12 users could exchange their play stats using some kind of P2P protocol (so no central point of failure or overload - unlike YADB) and if that can be used to figure out recommended listening artists/albums and that information is passed to the users PLUS that information is used to find similar stations from popular web media providers and automatically suggested/added to MC12 feature - this would be really cool.

cheers,
Osho

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 08:19:21 pm »

... if MC12 has some social networking feature it would be great. For example, if all MC12 users could exchange their play stats using some kind of P2P protocol
Please check out Rhinobanga's plugin for last.fm/audioscrobbler:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36302.0

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 12:37:45 pm »

I prefer "Listen, Just Listen", even though its still in Beta.

http://listengnome.free.fr/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 07:11:05 am »

Wow! That looks nice. I'm gonna give that a shot right away!

Thank you!  ;D

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 07:35:16 am »

Wow, listen IS really cool. Very nice interface, and very nice integration of Wiki, lyrics and last.fm.

And its FAST! Read my entire library of nearly 200gb/18,000 files in only a couple of minutes  :o

Muchas Gracias  ;D

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 10:49:34 am »

Inflator--

I'm sorry, I have to ask:  What benefit are you getting from switching to linux?  I could understand if you have a dedicated workstation and need to run one of the few professional apps that are linux-only.  But you changed your family's machines from windows over to linux?  Isn't that a little like (in America) giving up on English and speaking only Ebonics?

I realize you're a professional systems guy and I think that's half the humor in all this:  Linux seems to require a pro to install and run it properly.  If this is about sticking it to Bill, I quite agree.  Only you've already paid for the original licenses, right?  Where's the hidden rational goal in all this?

johnnyboy

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 03:01:06 am »

I've considered it many a time too.
Its a very easy way to get a nice system that is pretty much totally free along with all the software for it.

The GUI's on things like UBUNTU etc are all extremely user friendly and Open Office is developing nicely.
Firefox etc works on it great too and you're pretty much certain to be virus free.

I've considered putting it on machines I build for friends alot too.
Only reason I've never done it is the initial work load to do it.

Having tried Vista now though I'm feeling alot more of a push to do it.
Extremely unimpressed with Vista in terms not only of the additional features it brings to the table (as a result of 5yrs of work for a team of developers that big with a budget that size it really is not impressive) but also in the size of a resource hog that it is (used nearly 700Mb running with like 1 app open).

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 08:17:24 am »

I've considered putting it on machines I build for friends alot too.
Only reason I've never done it is the initial work load to do it.

Don't forget the on-going work load when they change or break something and have no clue how to fix it.  Or trying to explain to them that their new printer/scanner/camera/etc. doesn't work properly on their machine because the mfg doesn't want the additional overhead of developing Linux driver.  Or that one game/piece of software that they want to buy doesn't run on their machine either.

There are plenty of good reasons to use Linux (I have Ubuntu server loaded up on an old box full of drives for backups), but it is still not ready for primetime.

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 12:32:47 pm »

There are lots of people that only need the ability to browse , email and maybe write the odd letter. My wife for example.
She is happily running on a system built on fedora core 6.
I don't have any more problems with her system than I do with my kids systems.

My kids run windows because of game support. I can't tell you how many times a game has been installed only to have problems with video drivers requiring up/downdating to get something to work only to have something else not work.
I have one system that reboots 5 minutes after it initially starts up. It then will run for days without a problem. Linux doesn't have the problem on the same system(dual boot). Windows tells me it's a device driver problem. I have an identical system with identical drivers that does not have the problem. My son has taken to starting up the system and rebooting it right away so that he doesn't get interrupted during game play.

I regularly build linux systems for people with simple needs and they are quite happy with them especially when cost is considered.

I still run windows but fewer and fewer of the applications that I use on a regular basis don't have linux equivalents. An example is microsoft office. I really can't tell my boss to save his spreadsheet in an older format supported by openoffice so I am stuck.
The push for open standards will eventually resolve these kinds of issues.

Ultimately I think you have to be careful when you say it is not ready for primetime. For many people it is.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 02:07:25 pm »

A lot of this has to do with the FACT that Linux is Open Source, and as such open to full peer review, and open exchange of ideas, methods, and improvements.  It is the difference between teaching a man how to fish, and trying to sell and re-sell the newest fishing pole with the idea of selling it to him yet again in 6 months.

Linux teaches people how to code? Thats impressive  :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 02:31:48 pm »

I guess were going to have a debate of open source or not to open source?

This reminds me of a long lost user of this forum, and many locked or deleted threads.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 02:54:11 pm »

I guess were going to have a debate of open source or not to open source?

This reminds me of a long lost user of this forum, and many locked or deleted threads.

You've got a point. Lets not. The internets full of them, and all they ever do
is result in a stand off. 

I'm about to put a brew on, would anyone like a drink?

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 03:02:03 pm »

I got off early today and am way ahead of you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 12:59:31 pm »

[sound of thread locking]
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up