INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 9 -- Part 2  (Read 3490 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Version 9 -- Part 2
« on: September 03, 2002, 06:10:21 am »

Starting another thread because the old one was getting too long.  The old one is here:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=12916
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
RE:Version 9 -- Part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2002, 08:47:14 am »

So when do you think this puppy will be in Beta?

Will there be an upgrade for current Version 8 Users?

Will the License be for sale at the same time MJ9 goes beta?

'Don't Know Much' Charted At 02 In 1989

Listening to: 'Don't Know Much' from 'Cry Like A Rainstorm   Howl' by 'Linda Ronstadt And Aaron Neville' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

SBrandsborg aka Mouseman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2002, 09:30:54 am »

:D
By The Way... Why will mj 9 not show cd covers there is in ogg files?? are you also updating the Info Track Temp. Plugin??
~SBrandsborg (Mouseman)
E-Mail: steffen@sbrandsborg.dk

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2002, 09:49:35 am »

Most honorable Jim and Steve, I have a couple small suggestions:

Playlist and smartlist enhancements:

My #1 most wanted feature:  Please add batch-exporting of all MJ playlists to a directory on my hard drive.  I use MJ-created .m3u's to synch my Apple iPod... and it's agonizingly labor-intensive to manually export each one before a sync.  Clicking a button and having all my playlists "dump" into a directory on my hdd would be so freakishly cool, I dunno how I'd react if it were to happen.  (Of course, an iPod plugin would be sweeter, but you know how I feel about that.  I'm being a good boy and waiting patiently )  I thought for a second that I could make an interface plugin for this, but I have failed miserably (I'm not a programmer).

My #2 most wanted feature:  Please add sorting rules for smartlists.  At present, all my smartlists auto-sort by song title.  I would like to create per-smartlist rules to sort some by album, some by track, some by genre, etc.  Multi-tier sorting would be nice too, so that I can sort my "all nine inch nails" smartlist by year, then album, then track.  Sweet.

#3 -- Within the "Export Playlist" dialogue, would it be possible to have MJ remember my settings?  Rather than clicking the .m3u radio button every time I export a playlist, I could set my preferences in advance.  For instance, MJ's encoder settings are very nice -- I told MJ once that I want 160kb MP3 files, saved in directory X with filename setup Y, and it hasn't asked me again since.  It would be sweet if exporting playlists had the same level of user-friendliness.

#4 -- Please add "Export Playlist" to right-click context menu.  Mainly for the sake of convenience, rather than clicking a playlist, clicking file, dragging to Export.  Heck, it'd be even sweeter if the "Export Playlist" right-click option existed when right-clicking an Album or Artist or Genre in the left pane!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

rudy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2002, 04:08:21 am »

a minor few v.9 things....

1) Often, I right click on an album and sent the whole thing to Play or Add to Playing Now. It used to go in by track number, which is what I wanted. In v.9, it's added in some random order, however it is consistently in the same sequence.

2) Would still love to see an Imported Date field; what I'd like in the end is to be able to see, say, what I imported last month.

3) Since MJ has even newer features with images and such, this may be against the whole nature of the program, but I would love to have the Playing Now window be a constant, but the third panel be dynamic so if I was in Playing Now, i could see visualizations, but if I went to a smartlist, or view scheme, I would see the content view AND the current playing now list. Be able to drag and drop stuff directly from the content view to playing now, and rearrange the playing now list without losing my place in the view scheme or playlist. Maybe version 10?

The new organizational view schemes with grouping is excellent. MJ keeps getting better and better. Excellent work.

nila

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2002, 06:33:23 am »

Another feature I'd love to see:
For Media Library, I have it set to say: Artist/Album
This is great for showing me the basic info. But what I'd love to be able to do is configure the information that is shown in the tree.
IE: for when I'm scrolling down it and seeing all the artists names I'd like to be able to configure it to say be like this:
Artist 1 [5]
Artist 2
Artist 3

Where it's the list of artists with in brackets next to it, the number of albums each one has.
and when I expand one, I'd like it to be like this:

Artist 1
- Album 1 [10]-[2002]
- Album 2 [12]-[1999]

Where it's then telling me how many tracks in each album and the year the album is.
But the information displayed should be configurable so some people might have it normal, others with just year, others with track numbers, others with bitrate etc.

What'd be EVEN nicer would be to be able to have it normal, then say press Ctrl and have all the extra info show, or have it like that, then press Ctrl (or any other key) and have the info disappear.

It'd be a VERY nice feature :)

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2002, 08:24:43 am »

Also, would it be possible to customize file descriptions?  Right now, every file type that MJ claims is listed as a "MediaJukebox.file" -- It is impossible to sort a search window by type in Windows Explorer.  They're all the same type.

It would be keen if file types could retain or inherit unique descriptions based on their extension, such as "Ogg Vorbis Audio" or "Realmedia Video" etc.  This would also help if I wanted to change the icons of some types.  Currently, it is impossible* to change the icons of video files to be different than audio files.  Since they're all "MediaJukebox.file" types, if I change the icon for .mp3 files, then the icon is changed for EVERY file type that MJ claims.

*it is likely possible to do via the registry, but it's a pain and rather unstable... I't would be nice if this capability was built in.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2002, 09:11:28 am »

Hi everyone;

Guess I’m a glutton for punishment!

Have been using the last 3 MJ9.  Un-installed MJ8 & don’t want to look back.

Am still having one serious problem.  Many ( about 70% ) of my WMA files now come up with an error… ‘Information… Failed to save tag information for “xxx (file name)”.

This is very erratic as sometimes the files in question will play & other times they will not.

These files can’t be played from MJ9’s play list.  But if I import them into Windows Media Player for Win XP, they all play correctly without any errors.

* I have tried a clean install of MJ9 without the old database which will create a new database… no help, same errors.
* If MJ9 is NOT loaded & I double click on a file with Windows Explorer, MJ9 loads & plays the file correctly.
* If MJ9 IS loaded & I double click on a file with Windows Explorer, MJ9 opens up, but the file will not play.
* Have tried removing all tags… no help.
* Restored all WMA files form a back up of two weeks ago (thinking that MJ9 may of done something to the WMA files)… no help.
* Properties, Format shows for the files in question… “Format, Compression: WMA, Format: Input plug-in did not return format information”
* One time I can click on a file & Properties, Format are ok.  Other times the same file will return the above “Format: Input plug-in did not return format information” error.
* Properties, Format shows for files that play… all normal information.

Why do they play correctly on WMP & not on MJ9?

I’m about to give up.

Any ideas?

JimH

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2002, 10:13:42 am »

Doc,
Can you send me a file that doesn't work?

jimh @ jriver.com

Thanks.
Jim Hillegass

DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2002, 11:22:05 am »

Hi Jim;

E-mail is on it's way with small WMA file attached.

Thanks;
Doc

JimH

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2002, 01:56:50 pm »

Doc,
I never got it.  Will you try again?

Jim
Jim Hillegass

Mike Noe

Annoying msg/bug...
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2002, 03:22:41 pm »

51 is giving the "unable to update tag" msg just about every other time I click on anything, actually.  Usually it's about 6 or 7 msgs in a row, also when I exit MJ.

JimH

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2002, 03:47:33 pm »

Mike,
Delete the jmd files (your database) in program files/jriver/data.  You will lose your playlists and your library and you will have to import again, but it may work.

If they are wma files, don't do that, because doclotus also sees a problem and we will work on it.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

nila

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2002, 11:42:09 pm »

Jim,
I was just wondering why you closed the thread I started about v9 and how complicated MJ should be. I, like most of the visitors to this forum put quite a bit of time and effort into helping others if we can and giving ideas to make our favourite program even better. We all like doing it because we love the program but we are still all just doing it for free to help out. If your going to close an idea I suggest it'd be nice if there was at least a reason.

There was nothing bad in the thread and it was just a genuine suggestion that I thought would help MJ alot.

Mike Noe

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2002, 04:11:16 am »

Jim:
That appears to have fixed it.  My whole lib is APE if that makes a difference, but after deleting all the JMDs and re-importing, everything is working normally and the list "painting" is back to full speed.

Listening to: 'If You Gonna Make A Fool Of Somebody' from 'Ballad of Jimi' by 'Jimi Hendrix' on Media Jukebox

JimH

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2002, 05:25:18 am »

Nila,
There were already a couple of open threads on 9.

Also, you're often recommending such sweeping changes that we just can't consider them.  At this point, we can make small changes but not big ones.  The big changes come from a combination of what we hear a lot of users saying and pure inspiration on our part.

If you want to have a greater impact on our development, your suggestions need to be simple and specific.

On your question about docking properties page, try putting it in the windowed mode.

Paste your message here if you feel the need.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

nila

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2002, 06:10:24 am »

Thanks,
at least now I know why it was closed.

Well one idea I'd definitely like to see in v9 is a drop down list presented above the Media Library that had a list of all the libraries enabling me to quickly change between libaries easily and regularly making it a much more useful feature.
There could be an option to disable or move this drop down list too for users who didn't want it.
The bottom entry in the list box I'd like to be:  '...create new library' just to make it extremely easy to add a new one.
I'd also like libraries to be able to be defined in terms of smart lists etc.

The main reason for this is that I have a large collection consisting of full albums, singles, random songs, music video's and films. Right now they're all thrown in together and if I want to say do artist album it's for all of them or I can create one for each of them. This means I have a lot of View Scheme's that repeat simply to give me different views of my different collections.
If I had access to a library feature that was this easy to change then I could quickly and easily switch between what I was browsing and only need one set of view schemes which would then only show whichever collections I wanted. It'd make libraries much more useful for me.
If your worried about scaring off new users you could make this drop down menu hidden at first with an option to enable it.

Michel

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2002, 07:48:44 am »

I've scanned this thread, and not sure if the answer is here or not (Yes, it is a very long one... :-)  ).

Where can I download the beta of V 9.0 (that is, if it's available).

Thanks in advance

Michel.

JimH

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2002, 07:53:18 am »

It's in this thread:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=13568

It is for preview purposes only at this point.  It is not ready for full time use.
Jim Hillegass

Michel

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2002, 07:57:06 am »

Thanks JimH!

Michel

Marty3d

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2002, 08:12:59 am »

Please please please please!!!!

One wish above all...please let the different views (Playing now mostly) REMEMBER the sorting state! I think I've put a couple of thousands clicks just to sort the PN everytime I switch views!

Thanks! :)

DocLotus

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2002, 10:38:45 am »

Hi Jim;

Sorry about the e-mail not arriving... was having some outgoing e-mail problems.  Another one is on it's way.  Hope it gets there.

JimH

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2002, 11:08:43 am »

Doc,
Got it and I can see the problem.  Should be fixed in a day or two.

Thanks for the help.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2002, 11:35:05 am »

i know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but how long are you looking at before the first beta release, ballpark?
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

JimH

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2002, 11:36:29 am »

Jared,
No way to know.  Sorry.
Jim Hillegass

DocLotus

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2002, 02:27:13 pm »

Thanks for the update.

I am looking forward to the fix as currently I can't play many of my WMA files on MJ9.

I'm not putting MJ8 back in as MJ9 is a vast improvement (even with the troubles).

I really like what you guys have done with the thumbnails & image viewing.  Slide show is neat.

Would like for you to consider one new item… a dual (or split) screen similar to the way the old Windows 3.1 file manager worked.  You might also look at PowerDesk 5.0 from Ontrack…
http://www.ontrack.com/
I find split screen to be extremely handy.  It is the ultimate way to move & copy files when you can clearly see two screens.

Thanks Again;
Doc

Mike Noe

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2002, 04:42:33 am »

Another bug? Not sure where the problem is but it's always there:

When playing music (APE) and ripping CDs at the same time, I get very, very choppy sound output.  Does it with ASIO or WaveOut.  

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.51
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 448 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 94 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

nila

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2002, 08:51:52 am »

Ok, I'd love to see an imported date for songs so I can do stuff like make a smartlist for: New Songs etc.

I'd also like to be able to do a sort of 'GROUP BY' command in the list on the right, for search results etc, like you can do in sql so for the new songs for instance, I could do: group by album and it would show me a list that was purely of artists and albums so it would be like a new albums list.
I know the tree can do this but sometimes it's nice to have it in the list too.
Just an idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up