INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixed: Asio via M Audio not working  (Read 7228 times)

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
Fixed: Asio via M Audio not working
« on: December 30, 2006, 06:48:33 pm »

I've got a Gateway laptop Core 2 1.6.  Gateway has SigmaTel built in. 

I've got an M Audio Transit USB (from Empirical Audio) connected via USB. That converts USB to coax that then feeds my receiver.

Audio chain works fine in Foobar.

Can not get ASIO output working in JRC. 

Direct output works fine.  Direct works fine if I change bit rate and sample rate.

However, under ASIO I get an error message saying that my device won't support 32 bit per sample, even though I set the output to 16 bits, or 24 bits, or even default bits.  (It does properly show 44.1 or 96 output rate in that same error message.)

Advice?

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Asio via M Audio not working
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 07:29:29 pm »

I reinstalled the drivers, and now have a different issue: player indicates that it's playing (old 32 bit message is gone) but no sound comes out.  (Still works fine under Foobar.)

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 11:50:44 am »

ASIO works in JRC 11 if I set output to 16 or 24 bit output and 44.1 sampling rate, and, set MAudio Transit USB to 44.1 sampling rate.

But ...

Does not work if I set output to 88.2 or 96 sampling rate (and MAudio to same), even though that's what sound card accepts. This works fine in Winamp and Foobar ... any suggestions?

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 03:37:39 pm »

Bump ....

Under ASIO output does the tab that allows me to set bit depth and sample rate actually change the bit depth and sample rate?

I can get ASIO to work just fine if I set output of JRC to 16 (or 24) and 44.1, and, set my sound card to 44.1

However, when I set JRC to 16 (or 24) and 96, and, set my sound card to 96 I get no sound (... the player indicates it's "playing", but no sound comes out.  I do not have this issue in Foobar, where I can get 16 or 24 and 96 via SRC to play under ASIO.)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 03:54:43 pm »

MC will resample to whatever format you tell it in Output Format. (using one of the highest quality resamplers available)

I just tried 96khz ASIO and it's working for me. (Prodigy 7.1)

I know this also works at home with an M-Audio.

It makes me wonder if there's some silly driver issue or some other simple thing we're missing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 06:06:51 pm »

Hmmmm ....

I'm out of town until Thursday, but will update driver on MAudio Transit USB based on most recent that's available on their site ...

(1) Any other drivers that might be the problem I should do at the same time?

(2) Any "easy" way to check that what's being output to the MAudio is 16 (or 24) 96?  (Figure it's worth hecking because the Foobar implementation using SRC to upsample and ASIO drivers works fine ... maybe there's some other setting in JRC I'm missing.)

Thanks

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 09:41:35 am »

... bump ....

Is there another ASIO driver I need to be loading in addition to setting the J River output to ASIO and having the MAudio driver up to date?

Any chance that the fact that I have an ASIO driver in my Foobar plug ins folder is "confusing" either J River or XP/SP2 or the MAudio device?

Can I "verify" that J River is sending a 16(or 24) 96 signal out the USB cable ... is there some "diagnostic window' or similar to monitor that?

Thanks.

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: bump: Asio via M Audio not working
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 08:47:56 pm »

Matt or Jim,

I updated the MAudio Transit USB driver and did a hard restart of the laptop.

That didn't fix things.

My sypmptoms:

DirectOut works fine under 16 or 24 and 96 or 88.2     ASIO does not generate any sound, although player indicates it's playing and if I enable the diagnostic window all looks normal (all flags come back normal, etc.)

ASIO works fine under 16 or 24 and 44.1 or 48.

ASIO 24/96 works fine under foobar.

Because it works fine under ASIO and foobar at 24/96, and, works fine under ASIO and J River at 16 or 24 and 44.1 or 48, I don't believe the issue is the MAudio device or drivers.

Any help and/or advice?

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 11:49:59 am »

BUMP ....

Is there some way to change the ASIO driver in J River to one known to work in other players at 24/96?

I can't get ASIO to work at 24/96 ... works fine at 16/44 ... don't have this issue with other players, so know it's not the sound card, cables, etc.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 06:32:29 pm »

Do you have 24/96 source material? if you resample lower sample rate material it will not be bit perfect anymore. Resampling can only lower audio quality. (Though, with MC's Shibatch SSRC resampler the quality decrease is almost certainly inaudible.)

However, with my Terratec DMX6 fire 24/96 sound card all sample rates that I have used (44.1 - 96 kHz) work fine with the Terratec and ASIO4ALL ASIO drivers. Unfortunately I can't test M-Audio Transit at the moment. (I had one, but I sold it to a friend. I'm going to buy some other card that has professional mic input connectors.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jbony

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 07:56:34 pm »

I have almost the exact same problem with an Auzentech X-Meridian. Except me there is no sound if Asio is selected regardless of the bit depth/sampling rate.

DirectSound, WaveOut work fine, but as soon as I select Asio with X-MEridian Asio driver while MC shows that everything is fine, but there is no sound.

I tried Winamp->asio, with the same card the same driver and Winamp-> Asio is fine.
Which makes me thing that the problem is definitely with MC.

MC->Asio work fine with Creative X-Fi

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 11:37:01 am »

AlexB (or others) ...

Is there some way to substitute or try a different ASIO driver in J River? 

I suspect there's some quirk in the J River ASIO implementation that causes it to not work with some sound cards (as Jbony observed a quirk identical to my own)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 07:46:48 am »

AlexB (or others) ...

Is there some way to substitute or try a different ASIO driver in J River? 

I suspect there's some quirk in the J River ASIO implementation that causes it to not work with some sound cards (as Jbony observed a quirk identical to my own)

If I have understood this correctly this is how it works:

MC's ASIO output uses standardized ASIO format and the driver is always an OS level driver that is common for all ASIO aware programs. This driver is usually provided by the sound card manufacturer. ASIO4ALL is an alternative driver that may work with certain sound cards.

I don't know why a certain driver has problems with MC's ASIO interface.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 06:24:17 pm »

ASIO4ALL does not support sample rates above 48k

I tried a clean install of both the M Audio Transit USB and J River on a different laptop (also XP SP2) and got exactly the same result.

Thus, I've come to the conclusion that J River 11 does not work with M Audio Transit USB at 96k sample rates with ASIO output.  Given that Jbony had the exact same symptoms with a different sound card, it would appear that the ASIO implementation is not yet robust.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 08:35:19 pm »

I still can't reproduce this.

I just tested at home with an M-Audio 24/96 and all ASIO sample rates work up to 96khz. (the highest the card supports)  SPDIF and analog out worked fine.

It would be worth telling the driver maker for your card to test ASIO with Media Center.  We would be happy to help them if they needed.

We had one case in the past like this where a driver expected a completely unrelated API function to get called, and didn't work properly without it.  (in my opinion, this was their bug, but we worked around it)

I also just ordered an M-Audio Transit USB so we can test on our side. (it may take a week or two, but keep an eye on the MC 12 board)

Thanks.

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 09:10:02 pm »

Matt, thanks.

On the M Audio customer support site Jerome Schwartz was responding to my requests to debug the problem.  He ended by telling me to contact you.  On their site it was logged as incident number ID = NA59197

I really like the user interface of Media Center 11, and the ability to use my DirectX plug ins, so if I can get this resolved you've got a convert.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 09:31:34 am »

ASIO can request data in many formats, and there was a problem when a card requested the 24-bit LSB format.

This will be fixed in build 12.0.155 and later.  We may roll it to v11 at a later date.

Thanks again for the help.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 03:45:02 am »

Thanks Matt.

Please roll this and the MC12's WMA Lossless encoding fix to MC11.1 (so that also the new WMP11 codec version works) before you totally stop updating MC11.1.

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 11:05:40 am »

When/how will I know the "fix is in" and it's time to update to a newer J River version?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 11:21:13 am »

brucemck2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 04:04:51 pm »

I used the new J River Media Center 12 with the Turbo II at 24/96 under ASIO.  Works very well.  The bug is fixed.

J River has a nicer user interface than Foobar, to my ears sounds better, and has a nice feature that allows the use of DirectX plug ins like Burwen Bobcat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up