INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does folder.jpg need to be in VIDEO_TS?  (Read 1563 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Why does folder.jpg need to be in VIDEO_TS?
« on: January 05, 2007, 10:11:43 am »

Is there a way to get around the VIDEO_TS folder?  For a while, this was my issue with importing DVDs.  I found out that I have to add this folder after the top-level folder.  So, for a movie like Anchorman, I would have \Video\DVD Movies\Anchorman\VIDEO_TS\*files*  ....is there a way to get around the requirement for the VIDEO_TS folder?  I'm guessing it's built into the core of Media Center and that's how it finds the DVD video files.  That is alright and doesn't bother me at all except it is a little more work having to go into that folder to put the thumbnail and also, it really hurts on my Xbox Media Center.  I don't get thumbnails for the movies because of the extra subfolder.  Also, I have to push the Play button on the VIDEO_TS folder...pushing it on the movie title folder "Anchorman" doesn't work correctly.

It would be great if MC would accept a few differences:
1) Look for thumbnails to a DVD movie beside the VIDEO_TS folder, not just inside of it.
2) Don't require the use of the VIDEO_TS folder at all, but accept it if used.

Are these things possible?

gappie

Re: Why does folder.jpg need to be in VIDEO_TS?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:17:35 am »

i dont have a video ts folder. but the images store very nicely in the folder of the movie. i do need the video_ts file though. that one you can import into mc12, and rename it in the database. when the other files are also in mc then you can remove them there, but not from the folder. here is a picture of what i have in the folder and how it looks in mc. clicking on it plays the video.

http://www.gappie.nl/fotos/benn.JPG

benn600

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 12:24:54 pm »

Lol...let's start with the unrelated things:
1) I really like that theme.  Can you point me to a place to download it?
2) I also tried Ultramon since I have 3 1600x1200 monitors and considered buying it.  I couldn't figure out why the multi screensavers never worked.  Only the primary monitor would display the correct screensaver and the other monitors just displayed a low resolution thumbnail preview.  I also found it slowed my system down and kept restarting itself.

If I use your system, media center always imports all the files because I have auto-import turned on.  Auto-import won't consolidate all the files to one file unless I use the VIDEO_TS folder.  Otherwise, that is exactly what I want because it would solve some issues I described with my XBMC.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 12:29:38 pm »

Some people were saying DVD Decryptor couldn't handle some of the newer discs.  That is strange because I haven't had an issue with any movie...except one.  We have one, Mrs. Doubtfire, which has light radial scratches--the kind that go along with the laser.  Other than that, every single one of our 200 commercial DVDs have imported without a problem...granted most of them are not the latest releases but at least a few are and it works great.

I saw the program get up to 15.5x!  Now that is fast!  The maximum read speed of the drive is 16x so wow!  Some discs rarely go above 5 and others go well over 10 but 15.5 is the highest I ever actually saw while watching it.  I think that was on the movie "The Homecoming," a Christmas movie.  That is an old movie, too, but perhaps some DVDs are higher quality than others?  Most of our DVDs haven't got a spec of dust because like most people, we've probably watched them 0-1 times...also, the Homecoming has been watched probably about 50 times and moved from player to player quite a few times so that's surprising...you'd think the more a disc is moved (not watched) around the more dust it would gather, hurting the readability.

gappie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:26:11 pm »

my theme is my own variation on the noire theme. ill upload it later and let you know when it is there.

i like ultramon a lot. have not noticed that it slowed down my system. i guess it does. but it speeded up my workin flow and made me much happier. i use it together with pivot, as a substitution of the crappy nview (nvidia) software, which gave me fatal errors 9 of the 10 times i rotated a screen or stuf like that. i havnt used a screensaver for years, so i dont know how they work under ultramon. i consider them arty farty leftovers from an time that is past.

i understood from JohnT that when you import from within mc that it would only import the video_ts file (ifo) when you import from within mc12 (i think it is somewhere in your other dvd thread). but i dont know, i dont use autoimport. but via the shellextension i get all the files, and i remove the files i dont want from the library manually (but i leave them on the disc), no big deal.

gappie

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 04:04:59 pm »

here is a copy of my variation on the noire theme, its called noire sans blanc.

http://www.gappie.nl/fotos/NoireSansBlanc.zip

unzip the folder inside, to C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\MegaSkins.

let me know what you think

benn600

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 06:52:56 pm »

I'm referring to your Windows XP theme--black.  I'm guessing you got that online.  I'm happy with the default MC theme.

I bet if I uncheck all the filetypes for DVDs except the one file MC needs, it might automatically pull in the correct file and that's it.  I'll try that.

gappie

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 07:06:16 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up