INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want iPhone!  (Read 1419 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
I want iPhone!
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:53:04 pm »

I wonder how syncing with the iPhone will work without iTunes.  I want one, besides that!  Did you guys watch the keynote?  It was swamped all day and I finally got in and watched it just now...but it's around 2 hours or so.  Most of it is on the new phone.  That phone looks dang nice!

benn600

Re: I want iPhone!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:28:13 pm »

I am so anxious for the iPhone I decided to start fixing some issues I've got/think I'll have if I get the iPhone.  While I know there is little known about the iPhone so far in advance as far as details but I know it will handle calendar and contacts.  What standards are in place for calendar and contacts?  I wish there could be a new standard, IMAP2 or something which would automatically include all those extras that people without Microsoft Exchange Server have been needing.  It could include by default data storage for lots of other types of data such as contacts, calendar, tasks, and just general settings files which phones and email programs could write to (and read from) which would basically store all your customizable email stuff like signature, etc.

My biggest concern is that I really have no desktop calendar application at the moment.  It's really tricky for me.  I have my iPaq HX4700 with Pocket Informant and that works quite nicely but it leaves a lot to be desired.  I have no way to sync anything since I don't use Outlook.

Also, to make matters worse, I don't and probably never will use iTunes.  I use J River Media Center with FLAC audio files which I have re-encoded on sync.  iTunes doesn't even touch FLAC that I know.  Plus, iTunes lacks so many features I demand in my media app.  I'm sure Media Center will be able to sync my media with the iPhone but what about the Contacts, Calendar, Tasks?  iTunes is what is intended to sync.

Could Media Center have additional sync features built in for the iPhone?  It could be a HOT product just like the iPods so I wouldn't doubt it.  I use Thunderbird for email but there is no issue there.  IMAP doesn't require syncing!  If only we had a contacts/calendar/tasks system as EFFICIENT and amazing as IMAP, you wouldn't need syncing either because it would just access your data from the server.  We all know the benefits of media or any data for that matter being in one place and then access from all over.  It eliminates the need for syncing.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 06:58:26 pm »

In browsing around the web, it occurred to me that I will probably (lol, if I even get one) want to sync video.  Well, remember I like to backup my DVDs directly.

Is there a Media Center feature that would allow a user to select a chapter from a DVD or an entire DVD to be re-encoded and synced?  What I really want is a way to pick a portion of a movie...which would be either just a movie (without credits) or one TV show from a DVD with 6 episodes or so and then have more re-encode options.  One could be iPhone.  It could then re-encode to optimize for the iPhone.  I know it's a long way off but that would be quite nice even for my iPaq now.

Basically, is there any way to select a portion of a DVD and re-encode/sync?  Could this feature be added?  The trick would be how to add the UI for doing that.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 07:00:25 pm »

When I travel I walk around with a blackberry (with phone), an ipod and a digital camera.

At ~$500 the iphone is a little too expensive.

Instead, I will take a nano with me.  The iphone is sweet, but just a little too expensive for practical usage, and it can't replace a 7MP camera, a blackberry and an ipod.

In another year or two it will be awesome, but for now it is a bit much.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 07:24:09 pm »

My question is ... Apple pretty much never drops prices (or at least very rarely).  Let me tell you.  From having one prepaid phone in my lifetime and spending no more than $200 on it (Net 10) and only getting it about 2 months ago, this is a huge deal for me.  I don't already have a Blackberry.  I also am not used to spending $40 a month.  I spend under $20 a month at most (lol 2 months).  I'm just so amazed by this phone.  I can't commit to buying it but it looks appealing.  I have two iPaq's which have both cost me around $600 so this doesn't seem so bad...until you factor two years of service at $50 a month?  I hope the price is no more than that for unlimited data but I doubt that would even come close to unlimited data.  What am I looking at a month?  Besides, I probably wouldn't use that much data but who knows.  That's another $1200 in service!

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »

Even though I already have Cingular it is still too expensive.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:13:16 pm »

Looks great. :o

Costs too much money.  :'(

I'll probably buy one anyway. ;)

benn600

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 09:37:15 am »

Again, I've had my FIRST CELL PHONE ever for less than 2 months.  It's a net10, 10cents per minute.  I'll buy enough to get me through June.

Here's a question.  Say I do buy the iPhone.  With my Net10 phone, I'll want to move my number to my new phone.  But, if I do that (and this may be a net10 question) will I lose my minutes credit on my Net10 phone?  I would like to move my number then just give my Net10 a new number so it can be used by another family member.  Once everyone gets your number it's not good to change numbers (obviously) and if my net10 kept my number, the new user would get random calls to me.

I want that phone so bad!

Also, being used to about $15 a month or less, how much am I looking at per month?  I know for a phone plan from Cingular it is $40 or $50 right off the bat.  What about data?  This phone sings with the internet, email, texting, etc.  How do you buy data?  What would a unlimited data plan cost me?  What cheaper data plans are available?  I wouldn't need more than 300 minutes per month--I just want the data!  Any ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up