INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug? Management of offline media not working  (Read 878 times)

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
Bug? Management of offline media not working
« on: January 10, 2007, 03:11:19 am »

I was trying to move some of my media files from HD to DVD, while still keeping the entries in the library. At first, i thought there must me some kind of "move to offline storage"-option, but i couldn't find anything like that. It seems i have to manually delete the file from the library, then burn them to DVD, and import them afterwards.

So i did that with a few test files, and everything seemed OK. After removing the DVD, and trying to play one of the offline files, i got an error message from MC that said "The track name 'xxx' cannot be played because the volume labeled 'xxx' was not found.". But, after inserting the correct DVD, MC still doesn't play any of the offline files. It keeps telling me that the DVD is not inserted, even though i can see and browse the contents in "Drives & Devices".

The library entries for the offline files are looking OK - the "Filename (Path)" field showing the volume label of the DVD, and the path to the respective file. The "Removable"-field is set to "1".

Can anyone please help me with this? Am i doing something wrong, or is this a bug? Has anyone developed an easy workflow for moving files to offline storage media?

Some additional info: i'm using MC 12.0.139, and i'm trying to backup to DVD-RAM. Some minutes ago, i discovered the thread "Use MC as total music index?", which has some nice information by Marko (thanks for that!). Using the view scheme that's described in the thread, i noticed that MC seems to create a new DB entry everytime i insert the DVD-RAM, adding a number to the volume label (<volume> (1), <volume> (2), etc.). I'm not sure if this also happens with WORM media (like DVD-R or CD-R), will look into this.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
Re: Bug? Management of offline media not working
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 04:52:31 am »

It seems that MC has troubles with UDF-formatted DVD-RAM's. As i described in the original post, MC will create a new DB entry for a single DVD-RAM on each insertion, with a " (<number>)"-suffix (for example "JRMC_001 (1)", "JRMC_001 (2)", and so on).

If this wouldn't happen, i should be able to use DVD-RAM's like HD's inside MC, shouldn't i? It would be very cool if i could tag the files on the DVD-RAM (even if the volume is not inserted, i assume the tags should get updated by an "Update from libary" with the correct volume inserted), and move the files to HD later, keeping all tag changes.

I tried to find a way to achieve something similar with files on DVD-R, but i couldn't find a solution. The problem is that the changes i make in the library are "fixed" to the file on the DVD-R. This means that when i decide to copy the files to HD, i have to import them, and tag them again, even though the information is already inside MC's database (but assigned to the file on the DVD-R, not the one on the HD). The only way to get files from one volume to another while retaining library information would be to move them, which is not possible from a DVD-R (of course  :) ). I also tried copying the files from DVD, and changing the "Filename (path)" field in the library entries for these files afterwards, but it's not possible to change these fields (even though the data can be changed, MC will reset the field to the old value, probably because of the "Removable=1" entry).

Basically, what i'm looking for is transparent handling of external (offline) storage. Even a "Copy (and apply library information to tags afterwards)" would be helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up