INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delay when changing tracks  (Read 2285 times)

indecision

Delay when changing tracks
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:11:05 am »

I have noticed that MC seems to respond more slowly to a track advance command than it used to.  There was a time when changing tracks was basically instantaneous.  I am hoping to get back to that point and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on settings or tweaks that I might try.  My PC is plenty fast enough and has 1.5 Gig of Ram so I don't think that hardware is the issue.  Most of my music is in .ape format but the mp3's act the same way.

Sorry if this is a repetitive question, my search did not produce any results.

Thanks!

indecision

Re: Delay when changing tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 07:26:18 am »

All of my option settings for changing tracks and seeking are set to gapless.  Buffering is set to 1/2 second.  Would the buffering effect the speed of track changes or just the original startup of playback?  Is it wise to go to 0 buffering?

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 06:21:49 pm »

Sorry... I'm not sure what delay you're seeing.  The 0.50 second buffering is standard.  Do you have any plugins loaded that might need to do something when the track changes?  A Track Info plugin or anything?

You could try reducing the buffering but I doubt it'd make a difference.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

indecision

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 08:51:35 pm »

The delay is really just from the time I press track advance to the time that the software actually goes to the next track.  This just used to be an instantaneous event, but now seems to have some hesitation that wasn't there previously.  I have been going through everything on my end, but no luck.  I was really just wondering if maybe there was something obvious that I am missing.

Thanks for the reply.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 05:49:21 am »

MC's track change is fast enough and works smoothly for me. I tried several MP3 files (about 200 kbps VBR). I would say that it takes about 0.5 s or a bit less consistently when I press the Next button in the middle of a track.

I have set the following output options:
Switch Tracks: Gapless
Seek: Standard
Stop: Immediate
Do not play silence: disabled
Output mode: Direct Sound & ASIO - this made no difference
I tried also changing buffering from 0.8 s to 2.0 s - no detectable difference.

indecision,

Have you installed any external programs, like a virus checker or a file indexer that could interfere the file access?

Also, are your files located on a fast local HD? For example, a wireless network connection may reduce the file access time significantly.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:18:01 am »

MC's track change is fast enough and works smoothly for me. I tried several MP3 files (about 200 kbps VBR). I would say that it takes about 0.5 s or a bit less consistently when I press the Next button in the middle of a track.

Same here...

Good idea on the wireless network Alex.  Also, if the files live on a USB drive (or other external drive) and the drive is getting full, that could be the cause as well.  I have a nice, high speed gigabit wired LAN and while music starts instantly on my system (even when played from over the LAN), larger video files don't always.  I'd guess a slower network (or drive) could cause the same thing with even smaller audio files.

Even if it's an internal drive, have you tried defragging the media source drive?  That could certainly be the issue...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

indecision

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 05:56:39 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I am going to do some major cleaning, defragging, and troubleshooting and see what I come up with.

I appreciate the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up