INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11 Not Loading  (Read 2289 times)

simonmason

• World Citizen
Media Center 11 Not Loading
« on: January 19, 2007, 05:51:20 pm »

I recently restarted my Media Center PC and for some reason it would not connect to my domain.  I had to reconnect it to the domain and then it logged in fine. 

After this Media Center would not load.  I get the splash screen and then it dissapears and nothing shows.  I checked in Task Manager and I see the application appear and dissapear. 

Media Server loads in the tray but also dissapears when I click Show Media Center.  I tried reinstalling Media Center, then I tried uninstalling (not removing library) and reinstalling.  No luck.

Is there anything I can check to see what is going on?

How do I backup the library and IR commands, etc. so that I can wipe it clean and reinstall?  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 11 Not Loading
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 06:30:01 pm »

Very strange.  Corrupt registry?  You could try renaming registry keys to test.  They're under both Current User and Local_Machine.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 06:43:11 pm »

once i had a pop-up blocker that would kill media center
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 07:08:38 pm »

once i had a pop-up blocker that would kill media center
That's also a possibilty.  What makes me wonder about the problem was this:

for some reason it would not connect to my domain

Cosmic rays?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:22:35 pm »

Cosmic rays include:

Galactic Cosmic Rays -- coming from outside the solar system

Anomalous Cosmic Rays -- coming from the interstellar space at the edge of the heliopause

Solar Energetic Particles -- associated with solar flares and other energetic solar events
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 07:37:13 pm »

I took out the registry keys and it appears to run now after a clean install.  I have a complete backup of the program directory - is it possible to use this to restore my learned IR commands?  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 07:42:17 pm »

If it were mine, and I cared a lot about the data, I might try carefully moving select registry keys.

You can always import your old library from a backup.  MC does automated backups.

But my best guess is that you were struck by something.  What I don't know.  You're going to have to pick up the pieces.

I would run a virus checker.

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 08:07:28 am »

Well I got everything running again but I had to wipe out everything and reinstall.  I had backups of the registry, program directory, etc. and I stepped progressively through each area trying to figure out what was wrong but no luck.  This was not the end of the world for me because I just installed Media Center on my whole house media controller and was in the process of setting it up (switching from a Nirvis slink-e).  However, for future reference, I know there is a library backup feature built-in, but what about backing up program settings, learned IR commands, zone settings, etc?  Is there an easy (or difficult) way to do this in case I suffered through a major crash when the system is actually running the whole house audio?  Thanks.

simonmason

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 02:46:39 pm »

Well I think I figured out what caused the crash - I was able to duplicate it.  I am using the Music Lobby plugin for Main Lobby.  I somehow killed Media Center again so I went snooping in the directories to see what I could find.  In the Plugins directory I noticed an error.log that was over 4GB created by Music Lobby.  So I deleted it, and voila, Media Center loads again.  So it appears that if Main Lobby crashes or behaves badly it dumps a massive file in the Media Center plugins directory and stops it from loading.  I am going to post on the cinemar board to see if they know about this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up