INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Splitting up APE files  (Read 3435 times)

• World Citizen
Splitting up APE files
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:56:10 am »

I have an album in a single APE file I also have the CUE file. Is there a way in Media Center to split it up in to individual tracks?

thenoob1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Mouse driver wasn't found, right click to continue
Re: Splitting up APE files
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:36:16 am »

I don´t think so but I won´t saying st wrong. But there is a tool called cue splitter which can handle this. I always split the files and then convert them to flac.

look here:http://www.shareup.com/CUE_Splitter-download-30218.html
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 10:37:10 am »

I have an album in a single APE file I also have the CUE file. Is there a way in Media Center to split it up in to individual tracks?

Strickly speaking, splitting an APE file is not technically possible, but since the file format is lossless, conversion to track files does the trick.

I posted some instructions in this recent thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=38965.0

(The APE file must be correctly referenced inside the cue sheet. If the cue file contains a line like this: FILE "Your filename.wav" WAVE, you need to change it to: FILE "Your filename.ape" WAVE.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 03:08:33 pm »

Strickly speaking, splitting an APE file is not technically possible
In this case how CUE Splitter  working ?
I see than no matter the format it split tracks ?

Never used it - Using foobar to convert ape +cue to tracks/flac

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 03:39:59 pm »

In this case how CUE Splitter  working ?

It must decode the file to wave and encode separate track files. Some formats, like MP3, can be directly splitted on the frame boundaries, but Monkey's Audio is not one of them.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 03:49:03 pm »

ok -Thanks
Short and explicite answer, the kind i like  :D

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 01:28:25 pm »

Ok I downloaded cue splitter and that didn't work and I tried Alex B's way of adding the cue sheet to playing now and that did nothing. Is there something I am doing wrong? Also if I play an APE file does it reproduce the same quality sound as the uncompressed wave version of that file?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 01:36:42 pm »

Ok I downloaded cue splitter and that didn't work and I tried Alex B's way of adding the cue sheet to playing now and that did nothing. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Did you check the filename reference inside the cue file as I adviced? (You can open the cue file with Notepad.)

Also if I play an APE file does it reproduce the same quality sound as the uncompressed wave version of that file?

APE is lossless. When the file is decompressed during playback the original PCM audio data is restored. The output is bit to bit identical with the output from the source wave file.

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 05:07:47 pm »

Ok I changed that .wav comment to .ape. Now I have a .cue file and .ape file what do I do to split the tracks. Because I don't really understand your explanation before.

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 12:45:26 pm »

Okay. I got the CUE splitter working. I changed that line from .wav to .ape. And I have a cue file that when I add to playing know splits up the file perfectly. ]

But how do I store this type of setup in the Library? I tried to import and only the full ape file came in.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 01:29:22 pm »

Okay. I got the CUE splitter working. I changed that line from .wav to .ape. And I have a cue file that when I add to playing know splits up the file perfectly.

Actually, your APE file is not physically splitted yet. The apparent track files are virtual and consist of stored seeking points.

But how do I store this type of setup in the Library? I tried to import and only the full ape file came in.

You can select the cue tracks in Playing Now and right-click import them. Also, the Auto-Import tool should be able to import cue tracks when the cue file type is selected in the advanced folder specific Auto-Import options (it works for me).

Alternatively, you can convert the cue tracks to physically separate track files if preferrred. Select the tracks in Playing Now and convert with your preferred options (Library Tools > Convert Format...).

However, you'll need to tag and rename the converted files manually because MC has a tagging problem when the source tracks are cue based.

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 01:53:52 pm »

Thats the job. Thanks very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up