INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to make the Media Server work with Windows Firewall?  (Read 1700 times)

zekethedog

MC has been my media player of choice for many years now, though I'm just now experimenting with the server feature.  I'd love to make this work and I'm failing at what seems to be the last step.  I've searched old threads and the FAQ but to no avail right now.

I can't seem to play the server's files on my desktop (the server) unless I disable Windows Firewall completely.  When I do disable WF, everything works perfectly, it's just that doing so makes me a bit nervous.  I'd prefer to be able to keep the Firewall running and access my music files as I do when it's off.  Is this possible?  Do I need to change firewall software?

Thanks in advance, as I appreciate any help I can get!

Media Center Registered 11.1.201 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 1994 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 314 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive E: SONY    CD-RW  CRX320E    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: SONY    DVD RW DW-U18A    Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive L: HL-DT-STDVDRRW GSA-2166D  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive E: SONY     CD-RW  CRX320E     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive F: SONY     DVD RW DW-U18A     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive L: HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-2166D   Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Is it possible to make the Media Server work with Windows Firewall?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 04:40:39 am »

You can open the needed ports in the Windows Firewall configuration. However, Windows Firewall does not provide an option to do this for each program separately and it does not monitor or protect outbound connections.

A better option would be to use a separate fully configurable firewall software and disable the Windows Firewall.

My personal favorite is Kerio Personal Firewall v. 2.1.5. (a discontinued freeware version that is one of the best firewall programs ever made for Windows.)

It is available e.g. from here:
http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html#Kerio Personal Firewall

(I just compared this package with my original installer. The exe files were bit to bit identical so this installer should be safe to use.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

zekethedog

Re: Is it possible to make the Media Server work with Windows Firewall?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 06:53:31 am »

Thanks for the assist, Alex.  I'll give this a shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up