INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doesn't everyone with my router have the same server address?  (Read 3369 times)

rickscogland

Doesn't everyone with my router have the same server address?
« on: August 30, 2002, 04:10:47 pm »

I know three people who have the same model router I have, and we all have the same server address numbers.  I do have it configured to require a username and password, but what if we all had Media JukeBox media servers running?  When people attempt to connect to one of our servers, how would that person's computer know which of our servers to connect to?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Doesn't everyone with my router have the same server address?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2002, 04:24:27 pm »

The address that you see and the address that the outside world see are different.

You have "fake" internal addresses like 192.168.1.0 on your side, but the router also tells your ISP that it has an address that the ISP knows is real.

It's complicated but try the support page for your manufacturer.  They may explain it.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

RemyJ

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2002, 04:27:35 pm »

You probably all have the same PRIVATE ip address in the 10.*.*.*, 172.16.*.* or 192.168.*.* range.  The public facing side of your routers MUST have unique numbers assigned by your respective ISPs.  The router does the translation using something called NAT  (Network Address Translation)
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

rickscogland

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2002, 05:52:17 pm »

I have the 192.168.etc... address at home where my main Media JukeBox installation is.  If I want to access that from my work computer, how do I know what address to connect to?  Do I need to type in the MAC address?

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2002, 05:59:45 pm »

Your router has an address assigned by your ISP. Most often they are dynamic and can change periodically, but that depends on your setup with them.

Usually there is a telnet or web interface to your router (you didn't mention which you have) where you can see the current IP address it has. It will not be a private address like 192.168.*

In order to access your home computer from home, you'll also have to configure the router to route certain ports through to your machine. Using your telnet/web router interface you can set this up, using MJ Help you can find out the ports/protocols to forward.

Nick_LeFave

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MJ is the epitome of what a media player should be!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2002, 08:16:46 pm »

If your router has this software:

Say you get a request from the outside to 63.xxx.xxx.xxx:2039. Fictious IP and on port 2039. You can in your router software table tell it to route requests to port 2039 to a specific internal address (ie. 10.0.0.10 (example address, use the internal address where your media server sits).

Question: What type of service do you have? That dictates a lot. Again, best to check with your Router manufacturer to get the how to's and where to look. Also check with your provider. Sometimes they will help.

rickscogland

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2002, 06:20:27 pm »

I have AT&T Broadband cable internet access (Massachusetts).  I believe it is dynamic (can change periodically).  I have a Linksys router.

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2002, 08:36:04 pm »

With LinkSys the default address for the router (via the WebInterface) is http://192.168.1.1 open this address in your browser.

Your default password is Admin, the name nada matters.

Click on the Status Link that comes up (a psuedo Tabbed-Dialog) and get your actual IP address. This might change if you power the LinkSys off and happen to hit a lease expiration. I've kept my address for over 1.5 years, even though it's dynamic.

Decide on a port for MJ (don't use the default of 80 - we're gonna intercept all port traffic coming in and send to your machine. If you use 80 no one else on your network will get web pages.) 8931 as the MJ Help file indicates is a good choice.

Now go to the Advanced tab on the LinkSys Web interface. Then the Forwarding tab.

On the "Ext.Port" put 8931 to 8931, check TCP and enter your local address (your 192.169.* address), and check the Enable box. Apply and you should be set.

To connect to it from work, use your actual address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8931 as the server address.

If you want, once it's set up, mention your actual IP address and the port number you picked, and I can test it while you are there.

If you LinkSys WebInterface password is still Admin, you should change it. They are popular enough everyone knows the default password.

Hope this helped.

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2002, 08:38:43 pm »

On the line:

> On the "Ext.Port" put 8931 to 8931, check TCP and enter your local address (your 192.169.* address), and check the Enable box. Apply and you should be set.

by your 192.168.*.* address I mean the one for your machine, not the router. Type "ipconfig" at a command prompt and it will give you this number.

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2002, 08:43:22 pm »

I use a switch to connect to (A)DSL. A switch is something like a router but without own software.
The internal IP is 192.168.x.y and my ISP tells me the external IP everytime I go online ("ipconfig" from commandline tells you which IP is assigned to which interface (I think this should be the same with routers, not sure). As I want to connect to my LAN from other places than home, I had to find a way to publish the IP every time I (or the server) goes online. I use "dyndns.org"-service to do this. Using a subdomain (free, something like johndoe.dyndns.org) I can connect to every service my server and the working computer allows (ports).

HTH,
Mirko

rickscogland

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2002, 06:26:52 pm »

I entered the following ...

Service Port Range: 8931-8931
Protocol: TCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.1

... then clicked "Apply"

Now, am I to assume I just need to go to my other computer and type in the dynamic IP address followed by a :8931 and I'll have access to it after typing in the password that I previously set up?

On another note ... I noticed that it gave me info on "DHCP Remaining time" and "DHCP Release" and "DHCP Renew" ... If I were to click on "DHCP Renew" do you think it would allow me to keep my dynamic IP address?

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2002, 06:41:37 pm »

> ... then clicked "Apply"

You got it close. I posted a second time to try and be more clear.

You didn't want to put in 192.168.1.1, that's your router's IP address. You want to put in the address of your machine -- get it by typing ipconfig at a command prompt. It is most likely around 192.168.1.100.

> Now, am I to assume I just need to go to my other computer and type in the dynamic IP address followed by a :8931 and I'll have access to it after typing in the password that I previously set up?

Yep - you got it.

> On another note ... I noticed that it gave me info on "DHCP Remaining time" and "DHCP Release" and "DHCP Renew" ... If I were to click on "DHCP Renew" do you think it would allow me to keep my dynamic IP address?

It would re-lease your address, for whatever your lease time is. However, your router will do that automatically when the lease expires anyway. Unless you turn the router off it should keep re-leasing your IP.

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2002, 06:53:57 pm »

A side note on forwarding, because I think you might be surprised in-network there.

What you are telling the Router is any request coming in via TCP on port range 8931-8931 is to be sent to your server... regardless. This is how the router will be able to direct traffic to your server when you access it from work.

However, you probably can not use the same approach to talk to your server from another machine in the same subnet. The reason is: Your server will get the request, prepare to send back, and when it does the router will intercept the package (also using port 8931) and bounce it right back to your server.

This is easily worked around however, inside your private subnet you *can* use your machine's IP. For a machine in-network to access your MJ server, use 192.169.1.100:8931 (I am guessing at your IP address).

Addresses within your subnet (192.168.1.*) will never try and go out via the router when talkign to each other, so IP forwarding won't affect them.

> Now, am I to assume I just need to go to my other computer

If the other computer is not in-network, that is right. If it is in network, then use the 192.168.*.* scheme above.

rickscogland

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2002, 02:45:53 am »

OK, I think I got it now (I'll find out soon anyway).  Now the really dumb question ...

When I acess it from my remote (different network) location ... will I just be listening to whatever playlist I left it on, or will I actually have local control over MJ functions while having access to remote music?  And, if the second option is true, what if two people attemt conflicting commands?

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2002, 03:26:20 am »

I haven't used the server much, maybe someone more familiar can correct me.

I think users have access to whatever MJ library you are running.

rickscogland

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2002, 04:32:16 am »

Well ... something I did was wrong, because I got the "Failed to connect to a server" message.  I don't really know which computer was the problem.  Is there a good way to test this out?  If I were to post my dynamic IP address here, would that put me at risk?

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2002, 04:36:05 am »

Assuming you changed your LinkSys admin password, you are pretty safe. If not, I'd wait.

rickscogland - why don't you email me at jim_hus@swbell.net and we can do this off the boards.

rickscogland

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2002, 04:56:08 am »

OK ... I'll send an email soon.  By the way, I did change my Linksys password and required a password to access my MJ server.  Thanks for your continued support, JimHus!

rickscogland

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2002, 06:27:07 am »

Jim, I got your first few emails, but the most recent one (3763KB) wont open for some reason.  I'll keep trying.

JimH

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2002, 06:37:22 am »

Rick
> When I acess it from my remote (different network) location ... will I just be listening to whatever playlist I left it on,

no

> or will I actually have local control over MJ functions while having access to remote music?

Yes. On the client side, you will see what you would if you were sitting at the server, running MJ.

> And, if the second option is true, what if two people attemt conflicting commands?

It doesn't matter.  The server can handle multiple users.  You can even have someone using MJ on the server.
Jim Hillegass

rickscogland

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2002, 07:21:28 am »

Sounds great!  I also DID get your re-send of that email, Thanks.

Juice

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2002, 07:54:06 pm »

I would sign up for a free DNS service. If you have a typical "broadband" connection, your IP (external) will change from time to time and for me it always changed when I was away and did not know the new IP. I am now using a free dynamic DNS service at http://www.no-ip.com. Works great, I don't have to remember my Ip and if it changes, I still type in the same DNS name. Hope this helps. This is my first post and I have been using HJ for 3 hrs now and love it. I am going to delete Muzicman and Music "scratch" Jukebox.
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
-Albert Einstein

rickscogland

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2002, 05:25:45 am »

I finally got to try it out at a remote location and it was a success!  Thanks to all that posted, especially JimHus for the continued support here and via email.

NY40Male

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2002, 02:18:53 pm »

when connecting thru HTTP://

1) Does The Web Remote Plugin Have To Be Installed?

NY40Male

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2002, 02:32:06 pm »

Or Is This Post Assuming That Media Jukebox Is On The Computer And Your Connecting To 24.58.129.228:1021

JimH

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2002, 02:39:12 pm »

Run Media Jukebox/Tools/Media Server/Connect and enter the address.
Jim Hillegass

NY40Male

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2002, 02:48:10 pm »

So If You Want To HTTP Then You Must Have The WebRemote Plugin Installed Yes?

NY40Male

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2002, 08:17:55 pm »

YES?
YES?
PIZZA PIZZA
Pages: [1]   Go Up