INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I sync selected playlists in MC 12?  (Read 886 times)

sthomp

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
Can I sync selected playlists in MC 12?
« on: February 03, 2007, 06:25:01 pm »

One thing I've always wished I could do in MC is sync some playlists with my iPod, and leave any other playlists on my iPod untouched. I sync a few small podcast playlists every day, but my music could go a week or more without needing to be synced. My iPod music is a random subset of my whole collection, so there's a lot of turnover whenever I sync my iPod. With MC 11, my only options are to:

1. Manually drag the few files I'm adding. This doesn't work because I can't then get them into my podcast playlists. Even if I could, it would be tedious.
2. Sync only my podcast playlists (unchecking "delete from handheld any items not in sync list"). This won't work because it nukes all my music playlists. (Songs are still there, but no playlist structure.)
3. The option I actually use: Sync all my iPod playlists every day, which makes syncs take much longer than they need to. This is usually tolerable with my 4Gb iPod, as a sync takes about 20-25 minutes, but I've held off buying a larger capacity iPod because that will just increase the daily sync time beyond the time it takes me to get ready in the morning.

What I want is to be able to select certain playlists to sync with the option to "Retain playlist information for unsynced tracks". Or something like that. Does MC 12 add this, or anything else that will accomplish what I'm hoping for here? Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can I sync selected playlists in MC 12?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 07:23:17 pm »

What if your "random iPod smartlist" was actually a playlist you built every two weeks. (or whenever)

Then you could just sync the playlist and and it wouldn't be changing all the time?  (but the small playlists you mentioned would still change and get updated)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sthomp

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Can I sync selected playlists in MC 12?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 08:22:21 pm »

What if your "random iPod smartlist" was actually a playlist you built every two weeks. (or whenever)

Thanks for the suggestion. That could work, although I actually have 10 different music smartlists, so it would be a little tedious when I did update them. (Especially with a larger capacity iPod, since I'd want more smartlists.)

I'm still hoping for the day when MC will do something like what I'm talking about. I've always thought it was strange that it can't do it now, since it uses three functions I know MC can do. (Read playlist info from handheld, store data temporarily, write playlist info to handheld.) Someone from JRiver was nice enough to talk on the phone with me about it after I posted on this a few years ago. I was left with the impression that the programming was more complicated than it seemed, but I didn't really understand why. (Not knowing much about programming and all.)

Thanks again. Your suggestion would have the benefit of allowing me to update only the music lists that I've actually been listening to. I'll try it out with my little 4Gb and think about whether it would make sense at 60Gb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up