INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best quality digital music online?  (Read 4146 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
best quality digital music online?
« on: February 06, 2007, 07:18:04 pm »

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some really amazing quality (i.e recording quality) digital music online. Something that rivals SACD or DVD-Audio in its capability to sound like the original masters. Probably based on 24-bit/192kHz. I am not necessarily looking for 5.1 music (2.0 stereo will do). What would you recommend?

I am planning to do some critical evaluation of some high-end speakers in my house and having a better source of music than CD would be helpful. I don't have any player than can play SACD or DVD-Audio. I have some SACD disks but last I checked I can't rip or copy them to computer.

thanks,
Osho

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: best quality digital music online?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 02:45:58 pm »

well you don't want to download it then.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 02:33:47 am »

King, what's the deal with the date (feb 13) in the header of your post?

Osho: The best way to audition speakers is to use music you are familiar with.

Since you're doing the audition at home, it does make things easier, as you'll be using your existing system (and not a store system). Hook up the new speakers to the "B" set on your amp/reciever and you'll be able to do a/b comparisions with your present speakers.

Use the same source material you normally listen to (MC, CD, LP,etc). Listen to a variety of styles/genres. Using some "super" source may impress, but won't tell you much about what your "regular" music is going to sound like. If you can, check with a higher end store and see what CDs they're using to demo speakers, (as an ex-audio rep, I'm not up on the latest stuff).

Some of the music I used to use are Deutsche Grammaphone's recording of the1812 overture (with all the cannons) to test a system's stability and presence and overall balance of the sound field also Pat Metheny Group (for clarity and brilliance of cymbals and other higher end sounds) and Steely Dan for tightness (or lack thereof) of the bass and again, overall balance of the sound field. Your musical selections may differ from mine, but the criteria are the same.

You should start your auditioning with all tone controls set flat (0). But also try lower (conversational) volume levels with the tone/eq settings adjusted to your taste.

Choosing speakers is a personal choice - they have to sound good to you.

What are the speakers and what are you hooking them up to?

Jay.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 01:50:01 pm »

February 13th was the date King made the post?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 01:54:13 pm »

Ummm..., What?

Tango 27 This Is Quebec 45, Say All Again In English, Over
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 10:18:42 pm »

lol :'(
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

modelmaker

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 10:57:17 pm »

My goof!;D, I must have been in the twilight zone........

Osho did the post on the 6th, I was posting on the 7th and King' post was the 13th? It was 3:30 am on my planet and I we only have one month a year.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 03:23:07 am »

My goof!;D, I must have been in the twilight zone........

Osho did the post on the 6th, I was posting on the 7th and King' post was the 13th? It was 3:30 am on my planet and I we only have one month a year.

No, I can see deffinetly how that could happen, trust me.   I was laughing in tears, literally, so thank you for the entertainment on this board.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 10:38:08 am »

That's why I try to stay away from planets. All of the interplanetary time zone issues go away if you stay in space. 

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 04:02:21 pm »

I was asked about what I ultimately decided to go with and the details of my system.

My source is MC12 of course (all music ripped in FLAC at Secure setting with MC12). The sound card in my PC is LynxStudio's L22.

http://www.lynxstudio.com/lynxl22.html

I use the DAC on this card so I am connecting it's analog out to a Morrison ELAD 2-line preamp.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/preamplifiers/morrison/PRD_118343_1591crx.aspx

The output of the preamp is connected to the two monoblock power-amps BEL 1001 MkIv. These are very similar to the ones shown below (mine is MkIv , the one shown there is MkV).

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1180160806

I had previously connected them to B&W CDM 1SE speakers

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/b-and-w/PRD_119120_1594crx.aspx

I also had a subwoofer connected, which I got rid of. I wanted to move to full range speakers and so ultimatley ended up with B&W 704s. I think my ears are just too used to the B&W speaker sound.

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/label/MODEL%20704

To answer my original question, no I did not find any other high-fidelity sources of music except for a DVD-Audio that had 24bit/96kHz recording in the first place.

thanks,
Osho

Pages: [1]   Go Up