INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second copy of MC12.0.179 does not start  (Read 1634 times)

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Second copy of MC12.0.179 does not start
« on: February 26, 2007, 02:11:30 am »

I am normally running 2 copies of MC on my HTPC/server box. One runs at console in TV mode and other one is accessed via different user over remote desktop
to do library management and to run library server.
It always worked fine but starting with MC12.0.179, second copy just silently exits when I try to start it. I just hope that it's not intended and just a bug.
Alex

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Second copy of MC12.0.179 does not start
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:31:54 am »

It's never been safe to run two copies of MC on the same machine.  It was a loop-hole that let it happen under different user accounts before.

The old issue was that it wasn't safe to share a database, but this changed in MC 12. (second one in gets read-only access)  So if this is important to you, perhaps we could make a way for it to work again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:23:51 am »

Hi Matt,
Windows is a multiuser system (kind of). Many homes have one PC and many users. I observe lots of people
using user switch feature in XP.  So now they would not be able to run MC.
In case of myself, I was running 2 copies of MC for years and can't be happier. So yes it is important to me.
In fact, I would think of how to make library transactional so multiple users can manipulate it but I guess it's an overkill.
If it is absolutely critical not o allow multiple copies of MC to run, then at least media server should be allowed to run
independently of entire MC (with readonly access to library). It would not hurt if installer or something else in MC would
allow to run it as a service without help of tools like fire daemon.

Thanks
Alex

marcusaschneider

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 12:00:46 pm »

If it is absolutely critical not o allow multiple copies of MC to run, then at least media server should be allowed to run
independently of entire MC (with readonly access to library). It would not hurt if installer or something else in MC would
allow to run it as a service without help of tools like fire daemon.
Furthermore, if you have - at least under Vista - MC running as a service, then you have no chance to access MC until you do not stop the service. IMHO it would be nice either to have the possibility to start MC in "read only mode" (when running as service i.e.) by a command line switch and so allow a second instance to open it in "full access" mode, or that alternatively (and here I guess starts the wishful thinking) attaching to a remote database (even on 127.0.0.1) would have the possibility of "remote writing/ripping/encoding" etc. In other words: full control over the database of a remote server. :P

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 03:26:15 am »

So I guess the issue was not fixed in MC12.185.
It's sad when product is loosing useful capabilities....

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:24:48 pm »

/LibraryReadOnly is very nice, but what is the use of it if I can't start second copy of MC anyway.
Is that issue ever going to get fixed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up